DUNFERMLINE and West Fife MP Douglas Chapman MP has urged West Fifers to protect their children against deadly Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

He’s supporting a new campaign after research suggested that nearly half of Scots do not have a Carbon Monoxide alarm in their home – and only one in three regularly test it.

The ‘silent killer’ claims the lives of around 50 people each year in the UK and hospitalises around 4,000.

Mr Chapman said: “It’s a real worry that so many people are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning because they don’t have an alarm fitted.

“That’s why I am supporting calls from the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign to ensure every homeowner and tenant in West Fife is aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide and has an alarm.”

Carbon monoxide has no smell or taste and can be produced by any fuel-burning appliance such as a boiler or cooker. Breathing it in can make you unwell, and it can kill if you're exposed to high levels.

Lawrence Slade, Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign spokesperson, added: “This is a silent killer - you cannot see it, taste it or smell it.

“Protect yourself and your family by having an alarm fitted and testing it."