A RELIC of St Margaret will be carried through the centre of Dunfermline as part of an event that dates back more than 750 years.

The procession, from the gates of Pittencrieff Park up High Street and East Port, will be led by Archbishop Leo Cushley and Dunfermline Pipe Band on Sunday June 3.

The roots of the St Margaret's Summer Pilgrimage stretch back to June 1250 when, following her canonisation that year by Pope Innocent IV, the relics of the saint were taken to a new shrine at Dunfermline Abbey.

An annual pilgrimage to Dunfermline soon emerged and continued until the 16th century.

It was revived in 1899 and continued again until 1974. It was then revived in 2015 by Archbishop Cushley.

He said: "St Margaret is the Pearl of Scotland and a remarkable example of everyday holiness.

"Her daily pursuit of virtue transformed not only the life of her family but the life of this nation for the next thousand years.

“She is a great reminder that it is saints and saintliness that change the world for the better. Her example and intercession can now help us to do likewise.”

Pilgrims will gather in Dunfermline on June 3 to explore the historic sites associated with her life from 11am, process through the streets with her relic at 2pm and gather for mass in the parish church dedicated to her memory at 3pm.

The archbishop added: "It should be a great family day out, full of faith and full of fun too.”

Margaret was born in exile in Hungary and came to Scotland in 1068. Two years later, she became Queen of Scots after marrying King Malcolm III.

She was renowned for her good influence on her husband but also for her devout Christian piety and her charitable works towards the sick and poor while raising eight children of her own.

She died in 1093 and was made a saint in 1250.

St Margaret was declared Patroness of Scotland in 1673. She is also the Patron Saint of Mothers.

For more information, go to stmargaretsdunfermline.co.uk.