A MAJOR search is currently under way after a diver failed to resurface at Prestonhill Quarry in Inverkeithing last night (Sunday).

The popular diving site saw emergency services race to the scene at around 10pm.

It is believed that a female diver failed to surface and her friends raised the alarm.

Police divers and a helicopter were called out in the rescue mission.

Inspector Ian Stephen, of Dalgety Bay Police Station, said:  “We are co-ordinating efforts to trace a diver who got into difficulties whilst scuba diving in Prestonhill Quarry, Inverkeithing.

“The incident was reported to police around 10pm on Sunday, July 9, at which time Fire and Rescue officers and HM Coastguard, along with police officers and the Police Scotland helicopter made their way to the quarry to undertake searches.

“We believe that the diver got into difficulties and failed to resurface. Further searches will be undertaken during the day, led by specialist officers from Police Scotland’s Dive and Marine Unit.

“The woman's family has been made aware of the incident.  Further updates will be issued when appropriate.”

A spokesperson for the Scottish Fire and Rescue service said: "The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to an incident at Prestonhill Quarry in Inverkeithing at 10.09pm on Sunday, July 9.

“Two appliances and a water rescue unit were immediately mobilised to the scene to assist emergency service partners search for a diver who failed to resurface.

“We left the scene at 12.45am on Monday, July 10 and the incident is now in the hands of Police Scotland.”

Inverkeithing councillor, Alice McGarry, posted on Facebook last night stressing the public not to interfere in the rescue attempt.

She said: "I have heard from folk who are at Prestonhill Quarry that the incident involves one of the divers who use the Quarry.

"So many folk have gone round the Quarry following the blue lights. Please stay away and allow the emergency services to go about their business."

The quarry has previously claimed the lives of two teenagers since 2014.

Cameron Lancaster, 18, died in August 2014 carrying out an 'ice bucket challenge', and John McKay, also 18, died on June 18 the following year.

More to follow.