AN INVERKEITHING mum has been jailed for three months after failing to finish a community payback order given for assaulting two police officers.

Over a period of four years, Rachel Stewart did not finish an unpaid work order that should have taken just six months.

She previously admitted that on December 17, 2012, at Dunfermline Police Station, she did assault a male police constable then in the execution of his duty and did spit in his face. She also admitted that she did struggle with a female police constable then in the execution of her duty whereby she was struck on the head.

Depute fiscal Katrina Dalrymple told Dunfermline Sheriff Court that Stewart was detained by police for unrelated matters but became aggressive towards two officers.

"She spat at one of the officers and when she was taken to a police cell she had her handcuffs removed and struggled with a police officer and struck her on the head," Ms Dalrymple said.

"The female officer was not injured but the male officer had to give samples."

When questioned, she said she was glad she spat because the officer was physically abusing her and abusing his powers, the court was told.

Defence solicitor Roshni Joshi said her client had taken alcohol that night and attributed that to her behaviour.

"Her last period of imprisonment was 2009 and she has been out of trouble since 2014, despite difficult personal circumstances," Ms Joshi said.

"She has been the victim of abuse and feels she's had little support."

Sheriff Charles Macnair said: "The assault was a spit on the face which is a disgusting and horrific crime and it's made worse by the fact that the victim was a police officer.

"You have shown absolutely no remorse since 2012 – you were given the opportunity to do a number of community sentences and you have not complied with that for four years.

"In my view, your lack of action speaks far louder and the time has come for the court to make a decision."

The community payback order was revoked and Stewart was jailed for three months.