Postie bitten 17 times by dogs

Published: 18 Mar 2011 08:4014 comments

"I'VE been bitten numerous times, in the street and through letterboxes. You go onto their territory every day. Dogs are just being dogs - it's the owners' fault."

Postie Lorn Donnelly was bitten by a dog on Monday but colleague Garry Haldane has been bitten 17 times.

A WEST FIFE postie who has been attacked 17 TIMES by out-of-control pets on his rounds has welcomed new dog control legislation.

Fed up Garry Haldane (50) says the Control of Dogs (Scotland) Act should help give greater protection to workers.

He backed the legislation, which came into effect last month, following the latest West Fife bite attack - on fellow postie Lorn Donnelly (pictured) who had his flesh torn after being set upon on Monday.

Mr Haldane, a postman for 20 years and a Communication Workers Union (CWU) rep, said, "I was bitten quite badly before on the back of my arm on Blair Drive by a German Shepherd that came out of a house.

"I've been bitten numerous times, in the street and through letterboxes.

"You go onto their territory every day. Dogs are just being dogs - it's the owners' fault.

"I'd like to stress it's them who must take responsibility."

He added, "It does have a lot of consequences (for postal workers) with time off, infections and disability."

Crucially for postmen and women, the Scottish Act replaces the references in the 1991 Dangerous Dogs Act to an offence being committed "if a dog is allowed to be dangerously out of control in a public place" or "a private place where it is not permitted to be" with the straightforward "any place".

That means attacks in gardens could result in negligent owners facing prosecution.

Mr Donnelly (40), a postie for eight years, was attacked by a Collie while making a delivery to a home in Sir George Bruce Road, Oakley, on Monday.

He said, "As I went to the door to put in the letter it came from round the back.

"It had me trapped between the door and the steps. It jumped up and bit me on the right thigh and tore my flesh.

"It's not major but it's still a bite nonetheless and the worst I've had and I've been advised to go to the doctor.

"The owner was shouting at the dog to get in but said nothing to me. I had to walk away 'cos I was raging.

"You shouldn't have to put up with that all the time."

Mr Donnelly said Oakley and Valleyfield were two of the worst places for dogs being allowed to roam free in gardens.

He suffered a previous attack in Crossford when a dog jumped up and bit him on the arm despite being with its owner at the time.

The owner told him the dog had been "scared of the postbag".

CWU general secretary Billy Hayes said, "Postal delivery workers across Scotland will warmly welcome the new protections that the new law provides, as will all public-service workers who have to enter private premises as part of their daily duties.

"Now we need these laws extended throughout the UK."

CWU national health, safety and environment officer Dave Joyce, who has spearheaded the union's campaign for reform, also hailed the new Scottish laws.

"This is great news for Scottish postal workers, telecom engineers and so many other workers," he said.

A Royal Mail spokeswoman said, "Royal Mail takes the safety of its employees very seriously indeed, particularly those staff who deliver the mail.

"Unfortunately, dog attacks are a hazard faced by our postmen and women every working day.

"Our main aim is to prevent attacks and to train staff in techniques to help keep them safe.

"We also need the co-operation of our customers and we encourage the public to take responsibility for keeping their pets under control."

Jump to first paragraph.

Comments

Have your say - post a comment on this article

Registered users log in here
If you are registered with us, you can login here. If you are not registered, please do so now. Once logged in you wont have to complete word verification each time you post.

• NEILY-J
    Mar 18, 09:57

I hope he bit it back!!

Recommend?   Yes 1     No 0

• Martix
    13 posts
    Mar 18, 11:49

Don't posties run away any more? I bet he just stood there, let it bite him, so he could complain about it later!

Seriously though, it is about time the laws actually started to get enforced! Dogs that are outside are supposed to be muzzled... ever seen a dog with a muzzle? No? If owners actually obeyed the rules or posties actually had any sence things like this wouldn't happen. Who post's letter when theres a dog in the garden? I'd give the mail to the dog!

Probably make me a bad postie.. but ain't nothin ever bitten me!

• FORUMPOLICE
    Mar 18, 13:25

Martix. All dogs outside are supposed to be muzzled? Really? If you read either the 1991 or 2010 Acts you will see no such requirement.

Oh, also please note the following:

Sence - should be Sense

Post's - this is not possessive so why the apostrophe?

• NEILY-J
    Mar 18, 13:32

I bite anyone that comes in my garden

• Social Reformer
    Mar 18, 15:31

I blame the owner. Nasty bite eh Duffer?

• gnasher
    Mar 18, 15:56

I used to have a dog that all his days hated the postman. If we had inadvertently left the dog in the garden on a nice day or he'd crept out if the door had been left ajar and the postie came in he would chase him and nip at his heels. The regular postman tried to befriend him and we tried to show the dog that the postie meant no harm, but he was having none of it.

Our dog would pull on the lead to get at the postman if we saw him whilst out on a walk. The dog never behaved this way with anyone else who came in the garden, even complete strangers. Even when the old boy was quite literally on his last legs he would still try and haul himself after the postie. We never got to the bottom of it (no pun intended) and he never stopped trying to get the postman, no matter what we did.

We have another dog now (and another postman) and all is hunkydory. Funny ol' world, some dogs just do not like postmen. It's one of the wonders of the world.

• Pete
    Mar 18, 21:42

Issue the posties with Pepper spray, no more dog problem or human problem come to that.

• DB Resident
    Mar 19, 19:25

maybe a different job is in order

• Out-of-Focus
    Mar 19, 19:56

The Posties should refuse to deliver to those addresses that have these devil dogs!

See the oafs waddle down to the sorting office whinging about 'No gettin the bloody poast, ken'

Pity the Giro's aren't sent through the post anymore, you'd see the problem vanish overnight if the very thought of the giro was going to be late..............

• Sandra
    Mar 20, 02:15

I'd love to be be a postie but this is sooooo off putting..im scared! Apparently some dogs just dont like uniforms mmm...my neighbour had an alsation an it was generally cool, never any bother till it seen me hanging out my washin with my works uniform on an it went mad!! never came near me but on its front hunkers growlin an barkin at me..dead scarey!!

• dolly
    Mar 20, 17:12

How the hell can it be the owners fault when the dog bite when its in its own home. It is doing its job protecting. If you have signs up the postie knows there is dogs there so he/she shouldnt stick his hands through the letter box you dont have to have the mail drop on the mat you know.

Also if the dog is in the garden and you are frightened in anyway you just dont deliver the mail to that house. It has been done you know.

Also there is some right vicious posties out there too that hit the dogs for no reason and wonder why they then get bitten.

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 0

• This comment has been removed by our moderation team because it didn't meet our community guidelines.

• Toby LeRone
    Mar 21, 11:13

Why don't the Posties muzzle all these dogs with their red elastic bands, instead of dropping them everywhere?

Recommend?   Yes 2     No 0

• Geedoc
    52 posts
    Mar 22, 09:33

I see stupid people....they don't know they're stupid.

• justapostwoman
    Aug 25, 18:17

it is the the owners responsibility! i was recently bitten on the stomach, the guy shouted not to come in the gate, so i stood waiting to hand him his mail. the dog ran straight for the gate, jumped up at it and bit me. i have an infected wound and a 4" by 4" bruise. a muzzle would have prevented this. that could have been a kids face!! he has been charged and it will go to court. hopefully this will send a message out to all the dog owners around and keep the public safe!