Lap-dancing club to become eighties venue

Published: 10 Jun 2011 08:0521 comments

A DUNFERMLINE club will go from providing dancing on laps to eighties tracks this month.

Private Eyes lap-dancing club has now closed and is to re-open as Club Tropicana, an eighties-themed music venue.

It brings to an end the often controversial four-year stint of the 'gentlemen's club' in St James Street.

Club owner Tony Cochrane told the Press the resurgence of the eighties in popular culture was the main reason behind the move.

"It wasn't that we thought the lap-dancing club was terrible but we think we'd get a better return on the eighties club," he said.

"We think it's a better venture because we are finding that they are extremely popular and don't compete with mainstream clubs, so it's a niche market.

"I also think Private Eyes was too close to Edinburgh. If the lads want a night out it takes just 20 minutes to get over the bridge and into the city."

When Private Eyes opened in 2007 the club was told to "pack up and go home" by then local MP Willie Rennie who called it "sleazy, so-called entertainment".

There was also opposition from church leaders and local people, leading Mr Cochrane to say he had never experienced that level of opposition before.

Mr Cochrane reflected, "Mr Rennie was actually quite fair and he gave us the time to talk to him.

"He wasn't overly enthusiastic it was in Dunfermline but he knew it was well-run and there wouldn't be any problems. We kinda agreed to disagree."

Mr Cochrane is au fait with the eighties having originally organised first Scottish dates for the likes of Erasure, Bananarama (with whom he is pictured), Sister Sledge, Chaka Khan and Rick Astley.

In 2003 he travelled to New York and experienced the Culture Club '80s retro bar. He was so impressed he opened a similar bar in Aberdeen upon his return.

He said, "What we find in Aberdeen is that the young people find it fun because it's totally unpretentious and it's a great party.

"The older ones remember it originally and come along for the memory element.

"It's like mass karaoke sometimes - everyone's either singing, dancing on the spot or tapping their feet. "

Club Tropicana opens on Friday 24th June. Drinks will not be free.

Jump to first paragraph.

Comments

Have your say - post a comment on this article

Registered users log in here
If you are registered with us, you can login here. If you are not registered, please do so now. Once logged in you wont have to complete word verification each time you post.

• Ex Pat Par
    Jun 10, 08:19

"drinks will not be free" ;-D brilliant!

Recommend?   Yes 11     No 13

• RobinHood
    Jun 10, 11:58

I've been to the Club Tropicana in Aberdeen and I remeber it costing an absolute fortune for a round of drinks - no kidding! And they wouldn't play Ghostbusters!!! Boo hoo! Was a 'no bad' night out though.

Recommend?   Yes 7     No 17

• NEILY-J
    Jun 10, 12:58

Dont think 80's club is a very good idea, another venture that will come to an end with an a year, i think the owner should realise that it is the closest establishment to East End Park and if they really wanted to be successful, should turn it into a Pars themed sports bar, dunfermline memoribelia everywhere, Sky TV, flat screen tv's/projectors for watching the football, with the pars going back into the premier league, the crowds are definately gonna pick up and people want somewhere to drink before and after the game. Even a bite to eat. At the moment the closest place is the east port bar but thats a total mission to get a drink before a game and 7 Kings is too far away from the ground. If i owned that place thats definately what I would do with it, have a grand opening with big leishman etc, call it the Dunfermline Arms or something like that. I dont write much sensible things on here but think thats the best idea I've ever come up with. Anyone agree??

Recommend?   Yes 29     No 59

• molly
    Jun 10, 14:03

Here! Here!

Recommend?   Yes 7     No 11

• NEILY-J
    Jun 10, 15:24

Those who have said 'no' would not be welcome in my pars bar, you must be rovers fans or old firm glory hunters

Recommend?   Yes 14     No 33

• tina charles
    Jun 10, 17:39

Defo 70's, bit of Glam rock, brandy and babycham and bay city rollers. I'm there.

Recommend?   Yes 16     No 7

• maddferrit81
    5 posts
    Jun 11, 01:54

Neilly J I could not agree with you more. That has to be one of the best ideas I have ever heard. so used to hearing such $$$$ in your posts. The Dunfermline Ars it should be.

Recommend?   Yes 8     No 22

• SplitTheAtom
    Jun 11, 13:42

I miss my girls on my lap though. Oh well, will give me arthritic knee joints a chance to get better

Recommend?   Yes 5     No 11

• bigman
    Jun 12, 20:52

Where will all the lapdancing girls go?

My door's always open!

Recommend?   Yes 6     No 10

• RobinHood
    Jun 13, 11:34

Hmmm.....do you get the feeling that Mr Cochrane has instructed all of his staff to go home, log on to the Press website and hit the 'No' button on all of the negatively spun comments???

Recommend?   Yes 5     No 16

• Stormx
    Jun 13, 15:45

I cant see why there should be any negative comments at all here..think so folk are just never happy is all. This is a brilliant idea and i for one am really looking forward to this. This can bring so many people back in touch with each other...its all goin to be good!!

Recommend?   Yes 9     No 6

• Eighties Chic
    Jun 13, 16:21

We think this is a fab idea...........................80's was THE decade!

Dunfermline is crying out for somewhere this age group can go!

Brilliant Mr Cochrane, welle be there at the opening!

D&D

Recommend?   Yes 13     No 13

• lambretta jimmy
    Jun 14, 04:02

What we need in dunfermline is a nightclub similar to the old cavendish that used to be in edinburgh, My Wife and I used to go every third week. the last two bands we seen was jimmy james & the vagabonds, and the troggs, This place was buzzing every time we went, fantastic live bands from my era - 60s & 70s. the youngsters loved the place, yes you had your trouble like any other place, but all in all a fantastic place for a good nights entertainment. If i won the lottery i would buy the old ballroom and re-instate it back to when i went as a teenager, Big dance floor,seats round the outside,bouncer on the roof with a spotlight so when trouble broke out he shone light on area and was dispersed instantly.There are loads of bands looking for gigs, you just have to go to a 60s weekend, like they had at butlins in ayr to appreciate what we had then.There are to many over forties crying out for someplace to relive all the old memories with music they grew up with. Bring back the bands we grew up with. Bring back the old ballroom.

Recommend?   Yes 20     No 5

• April
    Jun 14, 08:43

80's Music rocks!!! Morrissey, Smiths, Joy Division, RUSH, Guns N Roses, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, The Cure, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, Ozzy, Stray Cats, Jesus and Mary Chain, UB40... the list goes on!!!

Recommend?   Yes 14     No 12

• tina charles
    Jun 14, 18:41

Lambretta Jimmy, I'm with you. Who bothers catering for the over 40's? Just because our children think that we lived in the "olden days" doesn't mean to say that nightclub owners have to think that too. Has nobody heard that the 40's are new 30's. The club owners need to get a bit savvy, who has more disposable income, 20 somethings saving for their first hoose or us 40 somethings who have our hoose and our kids are at home saving for their first hoose. And let's face it there is NO comparison with the music, I know that's such an old thing to say, but that doesn't mean that it lacks truth eh? And I just love to love but, hey, my baby he just loves to dance.....

Recommend?   Yes 13     No 4

• lambretta jimmy
    Jun 15, 03:35

C,Mon all you shy 40+ Revellers, Give us your opinions. I have just turned 60, but feel like 16 when the music starts and like nothing better than a good nights dancing, once I,ve had a few beers, well a lot of beers. wild horses cant make me sit on my arse when i hear the likes of eddison lighthouse,love affair,etc. My daughter is 40 and my son 35 and they just love the music i was weaned on. I still have all my old 45s and when im going out usually to edinburgh cause dunfermline at the moment is shit and caters for teeny boppers and drunks looking for trouble, out comes the vinyls. Ive had a good few nights out at the City Hotel with the karaoke, my only dissapointment with the city hotel is that it closes to early, i want it to stay open till 2am like the clubs do. Lets Partyyyyyyyyyy.

Recommend?   Yes 13     No 3

• King Charles
    Jun 15, 20:41

Strawberry Switchblade for me folks

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 8

• allison
    Jun 22, 20:33

Can't wait, will defo be a good girly night out, now where did i put those leg warmers

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 2

• Gee Doc
    Jul 13, 11:14

Yet another disguised attempt by Fife Council to farm out care for the elderly to the private sector.There are more unanswered questions in this article than there are facts. Who will be providing the zimmers ?? and who will make the soup???. It's all very well saying it's a new provision for the elderly,but those in their eighties need to be assured that there will be spam at least once a week...This article does not even mention zimmers......or for that matter dentures...

Recommend?   Yes 1     No 1