Six arrests at last three Pars matches

Published: 21 Oct 2011 07:2643 comments

PLAIN clothes police officers will continue to mix with fans at East End Park after six arrests during the last three Dunfermline Athletic home games.

In a crackdown on football-related hate crime, Fife police is sending a message to those who shout racist or sectarian abuse that they won't be ignored - they'll be arrested.

Six fans, two from the home end and four from the away section, have been arrested at Dunfermline's last three home games against Hibs, Rangers and Hearts.

Although there's pressure from politicians as the Scottish Government considers legislation to tackle the bigots, the club's own supporters are fed up and pointing the finger.

Detective Inspector David McLaren said, "As well as the national drive to tackle hate crime, we've had intelligence from fans about players and opposing fans being racially and religiously abused during games.

"As part of Operation Challenge we've had plain clothes officers in the home and away ends at East End Park.

"It's not extra resources, these officers would have been on duty at the game anyway, but clearly there is a problem if members of the public are complaining about it."

He continued, "If we are getting people going to football matches and they are acting in a racist or sectarian manner we'll arrest them and they'll appear in court.

"We don't want this type of behaviour at matches or anywhere for that matter.

"I would like to stress again that we are talking about a very small minority of fans and it's not just Dunfermline fans, arrests have been made in the away end as well."

The stadium has new CCTV cameras while the Football Co-ordination Unit Scotland (Focus) - a national police unit that works with officers policing football matches - has also been helping out at Dunfermline.

In high-visibility jackets, officers from the unit have been filming the fans at matches and were responsible for two of the six arrests that have occurred at Dunfermline's ground.

DI McLaren added, "Fife Constabulary and the club are taking this issue seriously and I hope these and any further arrests will act as a deterrent for those people intent on conducting themselves in a racially or religiously prejudiced manner.

"Operation Challenge will continue at future Dunfermline home games."

A group of football fans who sang sectarian songs during a train journey at the weekend are also being sought by police.

The 40 fans were on the 1.19pm Edinburgh Waverley to Cowdenbeath service on Saturday when they were heard singing and shouting "unsavoury" comments.

The fans, thought to be Hearts supporters, either got off at Dunfermline Town or Dunfermline Queen Margaret Station.

British Transport Police Constable Stuart Cowan said, "Hate crime of any form will not be tolerated by British Transport Police on Scotland's rail network.I am appealing for anyone who was on the train or the stations and witnessed the despicable behaviour of the so called supporters, or has any information regarding the identity of those involved, to contact me as a matter of urgency."

The BTP can be contacted on 0800 405040 or information can be given anonymously at Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Jump to first paragraph.

Comments

Have your say - post a comment on this article

Registered users log in here
If you are registered with us, you can login here. If you are not registered, please do so now. Once logged in you wont have to complete word verification each time you post.

• triskel
    Oct 21, 10:37

It is ironic to find an institution as intrinsically racist as the police condemning racism and bigotory. The word hypocritical springs to mind.

Recommend?   Yes 3     No 52

• fadgetastic
    8 posts
    Oct 21, 14:21

totaly makeing a mountain out of a mole hill. 2 arrests in three games from the pars end is hardly something to complain about. in fact i think thats pretty good going.

Recommend?   Yes 37     No 2

• This comment has been removed by our moderation team because it didn't meet our community guidelines.

• lydiapot1
    123 posts
    Oct 21, 19:25

They need to get their own house in order first before going after others. Fife is only one of two areas in Scotland this year which has had an increase in people taking their complaints to the Police Complaints Commissioner for Scotland. How can the public have confidence when corruption within is rife?

Recommend?   Yes 50     No 91

• lydiapot1
    123 posts
    Oct 22, 20:04

Well the 'Yes' hits versus the 'No' hits seem to have struck a chord in favour of agreement with my previous comment. I would invite any spokesperson from this public body to open debate and I would point out a few eye openers to many, I guarentee. Free speech is still alive and kicking.

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 68

• ShahHoorsur
    31 posts
    Oct 23, 10:52

lydiapat1

Instead of yet more cryptic messages, why don't YOU open the debate you suggest by actually detailing these "eye openers" you refer to??

I'll bet it doesn't happen.

P.S. It's not exactly rocket science to click on the 'yes' and 'no' buttons each time you visit this page. Idle hands, etc etc??

Recommend?   Yes 61     No 0

Oct 23, 11:26

ShahHoorsur? I can see your hands have been idle this morning. What are you trying to say? The police are good people? I've already explained to you the futillity of complaints against the police. If lydiapot1 wants to detail police misbehaviour it is not up to you to try and force it out of them. You are just another internet bullly.

Recommend?   Yes 2     No 30

• ShahHoorsur
    31 posts
    Oct 23, 12:53

Hiya Triskel

The only experience I have had with the police was when 2 local scumbags broke into and ransacked my house a couple of years ago. On that occasion the 2 were caught quite quickly, simply due to their utter stupidity in leaving evidence behind (an ID card & fingerprints, doh), and certainly not because of effective policing or detective work.

I simply asked why lydiapat (and possibly yourself) have such a negative opion of the police, nothing more. If you've had a bad experience, tell us so we can all make our own minds up.

My hands are never idle my friend, too much work to do......................... ;-)

Recommend?   Yes 33     No 1

Oct 23, 13:33

5,598 deaths in custody recorded for the years 2000 - 2010. NO convictions. NO prosecutions. That's just for starters.

Your use of the word "scumbag" makes me suspect you would be a supporter of state murder.

When I say your hands have been "idle" I'm referring to the amount of times you have visited this page to rig the numbers on the Yes/No buttons.

Recommend?   Yes 1     No 33

• Blackadder
    331 posts
    Oct 23, 18:25

triskel why haven't you quoted the rest of the facts. Y'know those about 66% of this figure being from natural causes and the figure which includes those who are detained under the mental health act. Is the maths too hard, or do the facts get in the way of not sensationalising another of your "causes"?

Recommend?   Yes 27     No 1

Oct 23, 18:56

OK. A thousand deaths in POLICE custody. For all the difference it makes. Don't you think that ONE murder by the police is bad enough, far less a thousand since 1997? You must be the policeman's friend you. Only a bitter and twisted wee man would let their personal dislike of me to get in the way of accepting what is wrong with society or do you LIKE violence, bullying, exploitation and poverty? Oh, I forgot, those are only "causes" for me to "sensationalise"; not real issues. Why would I want to sensationalise things that are already sensational enough? I'm describing in strong and graphic language how awful I think these things are. If you have a problem with HOW I describe things you should stick to reading The Topper. If, on the other hand, you have a problem with WHAT I'm saying.......you should get help. I bet you were one of the one's who accepted the "sensational" story about Iraq going to nuke this country in 45 minutes though.

Recommend?   Yes 2     No 30

Oct 23, 19:17

Don't you think the fact that the majority of people in this country are scared to make any kind of public complaint about the police a justifiable cause for complaint in itself?

The police investigate THEMSELVES. Their primary purpose is to protect people's wealth. The more wealth you have the better the protection you get. Tell me I'm wrong! Kill someone with your car when you're drunk and you'll be lucky to get jailed, maybe 3 or 4 years and out in 18 months. Rob a bank though and you're looking at 10 to 30 years. If you can stomach that type of contradiction and stick up for it good luck to you.

Recommend?   Yes 2     No 27

• Blackadder
    331 posts
    Oct 23, 20:10

Nearly split my sides laughing there triskel at your so "dad" attempts of humour. Is there anywhere in my post defending or otherwise any institution. Hmmm, no thought not. Simple highlighting of your ommision of the whole story. If you want to discredit an organisation, be my guest, go ahead But first of all make sure that you can qualify what you quote. 'Cos otherwise, doesn't that make you as bad and corrupt as the very things you slate.

Don't flatter yourself that you affect my judgement, you really are not that important. So now you have reduced your figure by 80%, let's have facts, note facts not fiction, of the proven number of murders in custody of which you speak. And then can you place the number of deaths as a percentage of the number of people detained in the same period (now increased since your first quote by 4 years from 1997) in police custody?

You really need to brush up on your legal knowledge, the sentences which are doled out to convicted criminals are not within the remit of the police. But again you are spouting for sensationalism rather than truth.

Recommend?   Yes 30     No 1

Oct 23, 23:58

I'd call your petty-minded nit picking an apology for police murder. Nasty nasty nasty. Have you not got it in you to condemn the police? The police reinforce the judge's sentencing. They are an integral component of a twisted legal shceme. They are complicit in the sentencing policy. The fact you don't agree with me and condemn state brutality would suggest you would defend the state.

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 24

• Blackadder
    331 posts
    Oct 24, 07:40

That'll be a no then.

Recommend?   Yes 21     No 0

• Blackadder
    331 posts
    Oct 24, 13:38

Run away then rather than qualify your claim. Twice you've been asked and twice you have failed. You can call me what you like, although it's a bit hypocritical to start name calling when you berate others for their playground behaviour, your ability to read others is so lost in all that self-hatred which you harbour.

Based on your logic of me being the policeman's friend, because I challenged your comment (any particular policeman in mind?), I must assume that you are the peodophile's friend because you hate every single police officer in the United Kingdom, who, of course, you know personally. How else are you able to substantiate your feelings?

I think I'll start making a few claims and then not be able to back them up and start hiding behind rants and raves and contradicting myself with every ridiculous post. Oh no, that's your M.O. isn't it....

Recommend?   Yes 17     No 0

Oct 24, 19:02

HA!

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 11

Oct 26, 13:12

Oh dear! Some people don't like the truth.

The police are there to protect the rich. They have murdered hundreds of people and have never been punished.

Are you happy with that Scotland?

The police force needs to clean up it's act and weed out the brutes and killers in it's ranks instead of attacking trade unionists and citizens with legitimate grievances!

Recommend?   Yes 4     No 13

• Calimero
    95 posts
    Oct 27, 10:33

One question to the lot of you...

If you were mugged or your car was stolen who would you call??? The police per chance maybe. Dont be so hypicritical.

Its almost like reading the ramblings of some mad American conspiracy theorist. Where is said prood? Nuff said I think.

Recommend?   Yes 10     No 1

Oct 27, 11:22

If you were mugged it's your own fault for having too much money and if your car was stolen it serves you right for polluting the world. The police are never there to stop crime they just make a show of investigating the crime and fitting people up to clear their casebook. Do the police stop murders? Do the police stop burglary? Do the police stop paedophiles? Do the police stop domestic violence? No they don't! They contribute to keeping the rich at the top of the heap and demonise the poor. We have a collective responsibility to police ourselves and to ensure that no one is suffering or going without. The police actively assault anyone who complains or protests about social injustice. Inequalitiy and injustice is the main cause of crime. Not enough is being said about that!

The police force is dominated by bullying violent types and it is time the police sorted this out themselves and got rid of the murderers and corrupt officers in their ranks before they start attacking ordinary citizens who are looking for justice and equality.

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 13

• Calimero
    95 posts
    Oct 27, 13:02

But my dear Triskel, like I said before.........

WHERE IS YOUR PROOF ? You cant go making accusations like these unless you have something to back it up. Have you ever had to call the police yourself? I have because my neighbour was being battered by her boyfriend and if I hadnt then god knows what would have happened.

Not all muggings are against people who have too much money. Thats just one of your daft over the top comments that just proves your mentality is lacking somewhat. Are you related to Not Happy Jan by any chance?

Not all police are this way. Certainly not the community officers that work in Rosyth anyway. I have know them for a number of years. So do you have a conspiracy story or about them too? Or are you just going to make something up or go off on a ranting spout of verbal diarrhea?

Recommend?   Yes 11     No 0

Oct 27, 13:26

The proof is all around you Calimero. The jails are full, crime is rampant and the police are getting fatter, uglier and more brutal. They are the problem and not the solution.

It is not necessary to always press people's fear buttons and cause anxiety in your arguments. I said before that the police don't stop batterings, muggings and robberies, they make a living out of them. In a healthy society, with a good sense of community, the majority of crimes would just not occur. We live in a very sick society, (poverty, racism, inequality, political corruption, media lies, sexual exploitation of children in advertising, isolation), and this sickness is reinforced by the police. The police as an institution are rancid and outdated, the police as individuals need to look inward at the renegade officers in their midst before turning on the population with their big sticks.

Please concentrate on my argument and don't make insulting comments about who or what you think I am.

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 13

• Calimero
    95 posts
    Oct 27, 16:07

Again, rant, rant rant but no proof of anything your have said about the police being murderers etc. Therefore we can only come to the concludsion that you are ither making up your stories, greatly exagerating everything or just telling porkies. A couple o other people have asked you specifically for proof but again and again you dismiss the questions with ranting. you said "In a healthy society, with a good sense of community, the majority of crimes would just not occur", that my dear is pure wishful thinking. There will always be people out there with psychotic tendancies that will always offend for no other reason than that is the way their brain is wired. It cant always be blamed on the politicians, policing, their up bringing or even their environment. Some people are just born that way.

Recommend?   Yes 11     No 0

• Blackadder
    331 posts
    Oct 27, 16:34

Calimero, most people learn as they are developing cognitive reasoning that it is ok to hold an opinion that not everyone will agree with. Some, however, will not.

As this person has now been asked three times to substantiate his claims, I agree, it is apparent that they cannot.

The argument is lost, triskell needs to get over it and move on.

Recommend?   Yes 16     No 0

Oct 27, 17:52

I am curious as to why Calimero and Blackadder are in denial about police brutality and their record of killing people in custody. Hardly a month passes without the police killing someone. Do you not get out much guys? No telly? Don't you read the papers?

The "people out there with psychotic tendancies" are attracted to the mechanisms of oppression, i.e. the military, the police, economics, the media and politics. They are a minority, but an extremely violent one.

Calimero, you obviously find the idea of a healthy society with a good sense of community abhorent, either that or you have a negative view of humanity. I am curious to know why? I believe that the majority of people would respond favourably to a fair and just system of interaction. I worry about people who react angrily to the suggestion that a better way is possible though. Is it that you prefer an ugly, bullying, oppressive, exploitative world?

What kind of proof is that you are looking for Calimero? Or is that your last ditch attempt to make me look foolish? You and Blackadder haven't even suppied a counter argument. What is your justification for police violence? If you need any evidence of the brutality of the police and the state just ask a coal miner.

Or is this all about having a go at me because you don't like the way I articulate my views?

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 15

• Blackadder
    331 posts
    Oct 27, 22:42

And still the answer is evaded. triskel why do you expect people to believe what you say verbatim. Do you believe that you are some form of God and should not be questioned? Why do you claim that challenging your statements means others are in denial and support that which you don't.

Counter argument? Well here we go again, your initial "death in custody" figure, once challenged, drastically reduced. So, the 1000 remaining deaths in 10 years, 100 a year, nearly one every three days, shouldn't be too hard to find a media story or two about this. According to you there are more murders each year in police custody than on the street of Britain.

But this of course is nit-picking isn't it, because murder doesn't count in your world unless you can blame it on any one of the organisations which you fear.

Recommend?   Yes 11     No 2

Oct 27, 23:29

What exactly is it that you want me to say Blackadder? Do you want the names and dates of everyone the police have killed, from Blair Peach to Ian Tomlinson? I can look for a website with all the relevant details for you if you like? On the planet I live on it is generally accepted that the police are wrong un's, the lowest of the low, that they have to live in ghettos and socialise with other coppers because nobody, other than the likes of you and Calimero, will give them the time of day.

If you can't get you're head round what I'm saying don't make yourself look foolish by playing at Perry Mason, ( sorry if that's too "dad" for you, if you've got a dad of your own you can ask him who Perry Mason was).

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 13

• Blackadder
    331 posts
    Oct 29, 00:44

How far would you like the goalposts moved?

Recommend?   Yes 6     No 2

Oct 29, 10:29

I don't know what you mean about moving the goalposts. Did it take you two days to think that up? You appear to be the one doing the squirming.

The police are rotten to the core and that needs to be addressed by society. We have a collective responsibility to police ourselves!

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 1

Oct 29, 10:54

Or this one!

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 1

Oct 29, 10:57

The information is there if you choose to look. You can remain in denial about police brutality if you want or you can say it is very very wrong and something needs to be done about it!

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 1

Oct 29, 11:40

Hey! Calimero! It's an INJUSTICE!

Recommend?   Yes 1     No 6

• Blackadder
    331 posts
    Oct 29, 18:20

Keep up triskel. Peach died in 1979. Neither died in police custody. So where are the goalposts again. Last 10 years or was it 14 or maybe even 32. This isn't about police murders, this is about you making a statement, any statement, and it being false and then adapted to try and fit.

Recommend?   Yes 7     No 0

Oct 29, 19:58

Following me onto other forums, (High School wind turbine), just to make sarcastic remarks about my posts leads me believe this is about YOU Blackadder and your fevered imagination! Did you look at the weblinks? Are you such an anal-retentive perfectionist in your everyday life? Blair Peach was murdered by the police, he didn't just "die". You obviously have some difficulty accepting that the police are murderers and demanding that I produce the "evidence" tends to back that up. The evidence is in the two weblinks I gave you. Now sort yourself out Blackadder!

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 3

Oct 30, 13:21

Got it sorted now Blackadder?

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 0

Oct 30, 15:03

Making a difference between whether people were killed in police custody or, like Harry Stanley, just going about their everday business, whether they were killed in 1979 or 1999 or whether there were 1000 of them or 2000 is inhuman, callous and unfeeling. When you display such contempt for human life Blackadder you are displaying contempt for yourself.

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 0

Oct 30, 16:26

Not much of an advertisement for the police force are you Blackadder. You prefer having a go at me and following me around The Dunfermline Press forums to have a dig.

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 0

• Blackadder
    331 posts
    Oct 30, 17:54

Why do you resort to these pathetic, desperate attempts for attention triskell. Do you feel superior quoting unproven facts from random websites, do you believe it makes you sound knowledgeable? And then your ego is popped when challenged and you appear foolish and start floundering around, shooting off at tangents, culminating in hints of suicide. How articulate you are.

Out of interest, which year or is it years, and which country or is it countries, is it that 1.2 million people have died because of cars. Try not to be predictable with your answer and start ranting about how I condone boy racers flattening pensioners and newborns in their silver cross perambulators. If you can.

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 0

Oct 31, 12:12

You can ignore these weblinks the same as you ignored the weblinks about the police murdering people.

Recommend?   Yes 1     No 0

Oct 31, 12:15

It's painless!

Recommend?   Yes 1     No 0

Nov 1, 10:47

Why do you stick up for the police?

Tell me that motor cars and the petro-chemical industry are good things!

The future.