MSP's expulsion appeal put on hold
Gary Fitzpatrick • Published 14 Jun 2012 15:30
DUNFERMLINE MSP Bill Walker's appeal against his expulsion has been put on hold until the conclusion of any court proceedings.
It was announced last week that Mr Walker had been charged following domestic abuse allegations made his former wives and a report sent to the procurator fiscal.
The MSP had been expelled by the SNP after the ex-wives' claims came to light and he later decided to appeal against that decision.
Today Mr Walker told the Press that he has agreed with the SNP Appeals Committee to delay the matter until court proceedings had been resolved.
Mr Walker said, "Following my expulsion pending appeal from the SNP in April 2012, my appeal has not yet been heard.
"In light of events, I have agreed with the SNP Appeals Committee that the process of my appeal should be put on hold until the conclusion of any possible court proceedings.
"As matters are now in the hands of the judicial system, I can make no further comment at this stage."
A friend of the MSP told the Press, "The party approached Bill to delay the appeal and he agreed this was the best thing to do for now.
"Even though the appeal is about how forms were filled and completely separate from possible court proceedings these things can get confused in the public eye.
"Bill has been very encouraged by the support he has had from his former party colleagues in the area, people who have known him since he joined the local branch 19 years ago and indeed members of other parties."
This article appeared in Dunfermline Press 14 Jun 12