Dunfermline 5 Inverness 1 

Dunfermline put their midweek blues behind them to thump Inverness with a five star display of pace and power.

The Highlanders are tipped for promotion but were brushed aside by Allan Johnston's men who were on top from the first whistle.

It was a frantic opening to the match with Dunfermline a goal up after 80 seconds through teenage sensation Calum Smith and they'd scored again when Lee Ashcroft headed home.

Inverness grabbed a lifeline with an Iain Vigurs free kick but a stunning strike from wing wizard Joe Cardle had Athletic sitting pretty by half-time.

David Hopkirk lashed in the fourth and Cardle completed his double in the final seconds as the Pars claimed their first home league win of the new campaign in some style.

After that 6-0 thumping on Wednesday from Rangers, they were desperate to make amends and raced into the attack from kick-off.

And it was a dream start for Smith. He won a high ball and chased after it, reaching the ball just as Inverness keeper Mark Ridgers came out to challenge.

The striker got the break of the ball and, with retreating defenders trying to guard the goal, he showed plenty of composure to steady himself before passing the ball into the net.

But the Caley Jags were almost level when Ricardo Calder's cutback found George Oakley but his net-bound hit was blocked by an outstretched Pars leg.

John Baird then let fly with a shot that was deflected over the top as the action swung from end to end.

Allan Johnston was without his first choice strike pairing, with Nicky Clark and Declan McManus both missing, but you wouldn't have known it with Smith and Hopkirk a constant thorn in the side of Inverness' defence.

Hopkirk came in off the left flank and sent in a dipping drive that Ridgers did well to push wide for a corner.

But from Kallum Higginbotham's delivery, Ashcroft climbed highest to power a downward header over the line, despite the efforts of Collin Seedorf.

That was after 14 minutes.

The match continued at a great pace and Thistle pulled one back in the 18th minute.

Vigurs sent in one of those free kicks that is a nightmare for a keeper with Sean Murdoch anticipating someone getting a touch to the delivery.

No-one did and the ball bounced into the net at his right hand corner.

Dunfermline had to defend with Morris and Ashcroft putting in some crucial blocks, but they found daylight in the 41st minute through Cardle's exquisite goal.

Higginbotham did the spadework with a driving run across goal, Cardle then took over, jinked onto his right foot and bent a delicious strike in off Ridgers left hand post.

Thistle had to go for it in the second half and almost caught Dunfermline out with a quick free kick in the 52nd minute.

Vigurs sent a low ball into the box that Higginbotham couldn't reach but Murdoch was out sharply to block Oakley's shot with his legs.

The big striker then, for once, got the better of Morris in the air but after chesting the ball down he screwed his effort well wide of the target.

Athletic put the game to bed in the 67th minute when Higginbotham, who was at the heart of most of their good work, sent a clever ball over the top for Hopkirk to chase.

He controlled the ball, got it onto his left foot and lifted a half volley into the net from the edge of the box.

The striker departed for a standing ovation and Athletic pushed for a fifth.

Smith almost provided it, somehow turning inside the box and trying to lift the ball over Ridgers but it struck his shoulder and went out for a corner.

Cardle wrapped it up in the final minute when he waltzed along the edge of the area before pulling the trigger and leaving the keeper with no chance.