Oakley United 0 Lochgelly Albert 4

LEE RICHARDSON has demanded better from his Oakley United side after they were thumped by Lochgelly Albert.

The Blairwood Park outfit turned in a poor display against one of the South Division’s promotion favourites and a downbeat Richardson was unhappy that his players didn’t show enough fight in Saturday’s derby.

Oakley defeated the Berts twice last season but a third success looked in doubt as early as the 12th minute when John Duffy turned Ross Ogden’s cross home from close range.

The visitors continued to apply pressure and, with just 31 minutes on the clock, were rewarded when the impressive Joe Kirby played Martin Rennie in to blast the ball into the net.

Richardson’s men went into the interval three goals down when Duffy flicked home a corner and, just seven minutes into the second half, Kirby completed the scoring after receiving a return pass from Ricky Cooper.

The defeat leaves Oakley with just one point from three games played and the Blairwood boss said: “I was really disappointed with our performance on Saturday. We had three really good chances where their keeper made some good saves, so it could have been closer, but the team didn’t perform and the players understand that I wasn’t happy.

“We didn’t press Lochgelly like we should have, we didn’t pass the ball well and defensively we were out of shape. For three of the four goals, there was no tracking back, we didn’t stop crosses and it was just a bad day at the office.

“There was not enough fight for what I’d expect in a local derby. Lochgelly treated it like that and I was very impressed with them; they deserved it.

“Our season’s not started yet and I’m looking for an improved performance. They’re all fighting for a jersey.”

Oakley were due to host Berwick Rangers under-20s in a friendly last night (Wednesday) and have signed former Pars midfielder Gavin McMillan and Burntisland Shipyard’s Lee Halpin.

Rosyth 2 Crossgates Primrose 1

TWO goals in a frenetic final five minutes handed Rosyth the derby bragging rights after they staged a dramatic comeback victory.

The points looked to be headed for Crossgates when Mark McKenzie fired Primrose ahead eight minutes into the second half before a penalty given for handball – after Rosyth had hit the bar through Baillie Kay and had another spot-kick appeal turned down – turned this contest the home side’s way.

Tam Hampson stepped up and drilled a confident spot-kick in off the left-hand post to equalise and, with the clock ticking into the 90th minute, Ryan Cowie latched onto a through ball and brought it down with his right foot before lobbing the advancing Primrose keeper.

After defeats to Armadale Thistle and Lochgelly Albert, it was Rosyth’s first South Division win of the season and boss Barry Cockburn said: “We had a good runout against Civil Service Strollers on Tuesday night, coming away with a 2-2 draw, which brought some belief back to the group so the boys were optimistic.

“The first half saw Crossgates settle as the better of the two sides with good possession but couldn’t carve out a clear opening to score. We started the second half a wee bit better than they did but we had the wind knocked out of our sails when Crossgates took the lead.

“They had a couple of opportunities to add to their lead but fortunately for us that didn’t happen. We got a lift from getting ourselves back into the game so late on and, with 89 minutes on the clock, the ball was played through to Ryan Cowie, who managed to bring it down with his right foot and then lift it over the advancing Crossgates keeper with his left and see his shot nestle in the bottom corner.

“I’ll be the first to admit that we have played better football and lost games but it was all about putting points on the board and we managed to do exactly that.”

Despite the defeat, Primrose boss Alan Campbell was upbeat, commenting: “It was a pretty even game and there was nothing really between the teams. They had a few chances and we had a few chances; we had a few to make it 2-0 and we maybe paid the price for not taking one.

“At 85 minutes, I was pretty much saying that it was a professional performance, a clean sheet and three points, and then they got the penalty. To be fair to them, their second was a really good goal and I was quite impressed with Rosyth. They’re similar to ourselves; I thought they were quite a good side and fought for everything.

“Only one player, Mark Higgins, was playing who was at the club last season. It’s going to take time for the team to gel but, in the last two games, we’ve played well in patches. The league is very tight and there are only one two goals separating games, so I’m not overly concerned.”

East of Scotland League: Kelty Hearts 11 Eyemouth United 1

KELTY HEARTS enjoyed a day to remember as they marked their first league game as a senior club by hitting double figures against hapless Eyemouth.

And it was an afternoon to savour for summer signing Errol Douglas, who rattled home a double hat-trick as Thomas Courts’ side ran riot at New Central Park.

After last weekend’s exit from the Scottish Cup, the hosts were determined to bounce back and it took them just three minutes to open the scoring when Douglas capitalised on a poor back pass to move away from the visiting keeper and slot home.

Archie Campbell quickly made it 2-0 with a good finish from the edge of the box and an incredible opening 45 minutes saw Stuart Cargill make it three before Douglas completed his treble either side of Stephen Husband’s strike to put Kelty 6-0 ahead.

Although the visitors pulled a goal back just before the half-time whistle, they could do nothing to stem the maroon tide as Courts’ rampant side continued in the same vein after the break.

Sean O’Neil added goal number seven early in the second half before Douglas added another three to take the home team’s tally to 10, with substitute Scott Dalziel completing the scoring.

Football Nation Qualifying Cup Round One: Spartans 3 Kelty Hearts 2

FOLLOWING Saturday’s goal spree, Kelty were back in action at Lowland League Spartans and were beaten narrowly in a thrilling cup tie on Tuesday night.

The Edinburgh outfit, who are a division above the West Fifers and holders of the trophy, were expected to provide stern opposition at Ainslie Park but the visitors made a strong start, taking a 14th-minute lead through Sean O’Neil’s header.

Kelty’s advantage lasted until the half-hour mark when two goals in three minutes turned the tie on its head.

Willie Bremner’s powerful shot pulled Spartans level before Jack Nixon nodded them in front by rising highest from a corner.

But, as they tried to find a route back into the game, Hearts were caught on the counter with an hour on the clock as Scott Maxwell broke free to square for Blair Atkinson to tap into an unguarded net.

Although Stuart Cargill pulled one back late on, it was not enough as Kelty were knocked out, but boss Thomas Courts said: “We’re on a learning curve that we’re acclimatising to. The style of game is new and challenging but, losing aside, the lads are bang on track.”

Saturday’s fixtures (kick-offs 2.30pm): East of Scotland League – Coldstream v Kelty Hearts. McBookie.com South Division – Armadale Thistle v Rosyth, Craigroyston v Oakley United, Crossgates Primrose v Easthouses Lily.