Dumbarton 0, Dunfermline 1.

A TOUCH of Joe Cardle magic proved enough for Dunfermline to secure their third win in a row.

The Pars enjoyed most of the possession and stand in goalie Lee Robinson was rarely, if at all, troubled however the impressive away support still had to go through a nail biting finish before bagging the much needed three points to keep them in third place.

Dunfermline started with the same line up which saw them secure a two nil victory against Falkirk on Tuesday.

The only change came on the bench when young keeper Craig Burt was included instead of Cameron Gill, who was ruled out with illness.

The first half saw much Dunfermline dominance however they, nor their opponents, managed to create any clear cut chances in the opening stages.

On the 17th minute, Joe Cardle whipped the ball across the face of goal however there was no one there to get on the end of it.

Dumbarton did go on the attack just after the 20 minute mark however their long throw was headed out by Mvoto.

The Pars were rewarded for their dominance in possession in the 23rd minute thanks to some Cardle class.

The winger picked up the ball just inside the box, turned and produced a beautiful curled effort into the Dumbarton net.

The goal gave Dunfermline an added boost and they continued their attacking.

The impressive Shiels got the ball to Clark however he couldn't bring the ball down to put in a shot on target.

In the 30th minute, Dunfermline could have doubled their lead when McManus laid the ball off to Clark but his thumping volley was tipped over for a corner.

Dumbarton had a rare outing toward the Pars' goal five minutes later but a ball across the goal came to no one.

On the 39th minute, they ventured towards goal againwhen Liam Dick crossed in perfectly to the head of Wilson however his effort somehow went wide.

The half time break seemed to have more of a benefit for the home team who came back out with a renewed energy. With much of the early possession, they had a chance in the 54th minute when the ball was crossed but a headed effort from Tom Walsh went over.

There was hope for Dunfermline in the 66th minute when a good ball from Mvoto found Cardle who, after showing off some fancy footwork, found Shiels however he had his effort blocked and cleared for a corner.

Dumbarton pressed for the final quarter of the game with countless corners being won however failed to put Lee Robinson under any real pressure.

On the 78th minute, the Sons did come close after winning a free kick not too far from the half way line. The ball was floated in and the ball was eventually scrambled away.

Sub Lee Ryan nearly doubled Dunfermline's lead with ten minutes to go when he found himself with the ball in the box however his effort went across goal and hit the post before going out for a goal kick.

On 86 minutes, fellow substitute Callum Smith looked to have been brought down in the box but referee John Beaton only gave a corner which Mvoto headed straight into Scott Gallacher's arms.

With only seconds to go, Pars fans could have been forgiven for thinking that their team was going to lose it at the death with another Dumbarton effort.

Stuart Carswell's effort somehow was deflected for a corner and the resulting shot went comfortably wide.

Dumbarton Gallacher, Smith, Dowie (Handling 59), Carswell, Gallagher (Johnston), Wilson, Walsh, Hill, Morrison (Nade 45), Dick, Barr.

Subs not used: Roy, Ewings.

Dunfermline Robinson, Williamson, Talbot, Mvoto, Ashcroft, Paton, Shiels (Higginbotham 81), Wedderburn, Cardle, McManus (Smith 77), Clark (Ryan 77).

Subs not used: Burt, Martin, Aird, Morris.

Goal: Cardle (23 mins)

Referee: John Beaton

Attendance: 1086