AN ALCOHOLIC who took exception to a neighbour shouting at his children has appeared in court.

Lee James, 37, of Loch Leven Terrace, Kelty, had been attending a party at another neighbour's house and, after hearing the man telling his children off, he confronted him, shouting and swearing at him and calling him a "Polish c***."

Appearing at Dunfermline Sheriff Court for sentencing last Wednesday, he had earlier admitted that he behaved in a threatening or abusive manner at a property in Loch Leven Terrace on July 12 by repeatedly shouting and swearing, uttering threats of violence and acting in an aggressive manner. The offence was deemed to be racially aggravated.

Depute fiscal Azrah Yousaf said a party had been taking place at James' neighbour's house which caused concern to another resident.

He had gone out into his garden at around 10.30pm and had seen James' children kicking a ball against the wall of his property and shouted at the children to keep the noise down.

James and his neighbour heard and went down to confront the man.

"He called him a Polish c*** and shouted and swore at him," she said. "After being detained by police officers, he said the neighbour had been 'shouting at the bairns' so he went and gave him some abuse."

Solicitor Ian Beatson said his client accepted he was an alcoholic and he and his neighbour "took exception" to what was said to the children.

"Mr James accepts that he swore and was verbally abusive towards the complainer and acted in a racially-aggressive manner," he said.

"He has very little recollection of the incident itself. He has recognised that his drinking is problematic and has been attending addiction services."

Sheriff Charles Macnair said although the threats of violence appeared to be made by the other neighbour, James had accepted he was acting with him at the time.

He added: "You then used racist language towards the complainer who was understandably concerned by the amount of noise which was emanating form the parties and the behaviour of these children who were not being kept under control at that time of night."

He sentenced James to a restriction of liberty order for 205 days.