A DAD who turned up drunk and shut his partner and their son out of their home for several hours has appeared in court for his “frightening” behaviour.

Jay Clelland’s partner was so scared when he smashed household items that she took their young son and escaped the property to get help.

But it took several family members hours before they were able to get back in to the home.

Clelland, 27, of McClelland Crescent, Dunfermline, previously admitted that between September 30 and October at an address in Dunfermline, he behaved in a threatening or abusive manner which was likely to cause fear or alarm in that he did shout, swear, act in an aggressive manner towards his partner, repeatedly bang on a door, damage household items, break a window of a motor vehicle by punching it, refuse to allow her and his child access to her home and follow her in a motor vehicle.

Depute fiscal Azrah Yousaf explained that the couple had been together for six years and had a child.

Before the incident they had been for dinner but afterwards, the complainer went home while Clelland stayed out for a drink.

“He intended to stay at hers, so she asked him not to return late,” Ms Yousaf said.

The court was told that, at around 3.30am, Clelland had still not arrived so the complainer texted him to tell him not to bother coming and locked the front door.

Her son was also in the house with her. Then, at 7am, she was awoken by a loud banging at her door.

The complainer let Clelland in and she could see that he was drunk, so she told him to get out, but he refused. He then punched a ceiling light in the hall causing the fitting to break.

His partner then shouted at him to leave again and this time he pulled a candle-holder from its fitting on the wall and threw it down the hall causing it to smash.

“The complainer was frightened at this point, so she went to get her car keys with the intention of getting away,” Ms Yousaf said.

“When she came back to the hall, she saw her son was standing in the broken glass, so she picked him up and left the property.

“The accused was still standing in the hall saying he was not going to leave.

“The complainer went to her car but realised she had dropped her car keys.”

The woman decided to stand at the end of the road and called members of Clelland’s family for help.

She got an answer from his brother and told him what had happened but at that point the accused came out of the house and shouted: “Who are you on the phone to, your boyfriend?”

He then punched a car window, causing it to smash, before going back in the home and locking the door.

Shortly after, Clelland’s brother turned up and tried to get him to open the door but he continued to refuse to do so.

Clelland’s mother also came to the property and eventually managed to gain access; by this point it was 10.30am.

When they went into the house, Clelland was asleep and eventually woke up at 1pm.

Police later detained him.

The next day, the woman received several text messages from Clelland saying he was sorry. At around 7.50am, she was driven to her work by her sister.

Whilst on the road, she saw the accused’s vehicle and he appeared to be following.

He overtook the sister but she managed to manoeuvre away from him. When the complainer got to work, she rang the police.

Defence solicitor Roshni Joshi said: “He recognises in the clear light of day that his actions were avoidable.

“He came home late, and his partner was not happy, which is understandable.

“He has told me that he is ashamed by his actions.

“It is hoped that this relationship can be reconciled and he has made arrangement to make sure payment is made for the damage.”

Sheriff Charles Macnair said: “This was a sustained piece of very frightening conduct towards your partner and your son who was present.

“He was locked out of the property and you have a previous conviction for domestic aggravated offending.”

Clelland was given a community sentence with 18 months’ supervision and 160 hours of unpaid work.