A DUNFERMLINE dad who assaulted his own grandfather among a catalogue of other offences has been jailed.

Colin Auchterlonie, 28, of Iona Road, on February 7, at Dunlin Drive, used an unregistered motor vehicle without insurance, and at Dunfermline Police Station resisted, obstructed or hindered police and struggled violently with them and tensed his arms. He also failed without reasonable excuse to provide two breath specimens for analysis.

He also previously admitted that on April 12, at Fod Street, he behaved in a threatening or abusive manner which was likely to cause a reasonable person to suffer fear or alarm in that he adopted an aggressive attitude, shouted, and swore at his grandparents. And he assaulted his grandfather by seizing hold of him, causing him to fall to the ground and attempted to place his hands around his neck and struggle with him to his injury.

He also previously admitted that on March 15, at Fod Street, he behaved in a threatening or abusive manner which was likely to cause a reasonable person to suffer fear or alarm in that he shouted, swore and acted aggressively and struggled with police officers.

And on May 2, at an address in Dunfermline, he behaved in a threatening or abusive manner which was likely to cause a reasonable person to suffer fear or alarm in that he attended at the home address of his former partner, uninvited during the hours of darkness, threw a stone at a window, stared into the address, punched a window repeatedly causing it to smash and causing injury to the said female, enter the property through the broken window, pursue a male, who was within the property, shout, swear, chase him into the street and pursue him down the street.

Also, on April 15, he entered Fod Street after being granted bail on the condition he would not enter the street.

Depute fiscal Alistair McDermott explained that on February 7, the accused was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving but refused to supply any breath specimens.

Auchterlonie became agitated and then struggled with officers as they attempted to handcuff him.

In the incident involving his former partner, the complainer had been at the home of a friend.

The court heard that after eight years together, Auchterlonie and the woman, who had two children together, had split up four months previously.

At around 9.15pm, the accused went to his former partner's home and he was standing from the outside staring in. After being told to "f*** off", the accused threw a stone, breaking the window. Following further confrontation, he entered the property through the broken window and started shouting and swearing at a male witness. He then followed the man, who had left the property, and chased him down the street.

Later, police found Auchterlonie at Fod Street, breaking bail conditions.

On March 15, the accused had been consuming alcohol. Concerned for his health, his grandad rang for an ambulance but reacted aggressively when medics and police arrived.

He was eventually arrested in the front garden after a struggle with police.

When he assaulted his grandad, housing officers had attended earlier in the day and took his three children to his grandparents because, in his words, he was "having a meltdown".

Later, his grandad saw Auchterlonie coming towards his house in possession of a bottle of Buckfast.

The court was told the accused was very emotional and was confrontational with his family. His children had to be taken away from him.

His grandad went out of the living room when the accused grabbed him from behind, causing him to fall to the ground.

There was a struggle between the two and Auchterlonie ended up on top of his grandad.

His grandma then witnessed the accused attempting to put his hands around his grandad's neck. The police were called.

Defence solicitor Ian Beatson said matters had not gone well for his client over a short period of time.

"His relationship seemed to come to an end but he was still in regular contact with her," Mr Beatson said.

"He has spent time trying to work out if it's the end of the relationship.

"There has been pressure on him for financial help and he found that quite a considerable stress.

"He does have the support of his grandparents. He is very regretful of the situation."

Sheriff Charles Macnair said: "You have come before the court for a catalogue of offending, going back to when you failed to provide a specimen.

"You then offended against your grandparents, police and your former partner and her friend.

"In my view, having regard to the nature of this offending and your attitude, there is no alternative but a custodial sentence."

He imposed a sentence of six months and 160 days.