A DUNFERMLINE teen who viciously assaulted his mum and grandmother has narrowly avoided a jail sentence.

Taylor Cockerill appeared at Dunfermline Sheriff Court for the offences and a breach of a restriction of liberty order.

Cockerill, 19, of Chapelwell Place, previously admitted that on February 10, 2018, at Gillespie Place, Edinburgh, he resisted, obstructed or hindered two constables, then in the execution of their duty, and struggled with them, kicking out with his legs.

On March 13, at his home address, he assaulted his mother and punched her repeatedly on the head and body and seized and pulled her hair to her injury. Also, he assaulted his grandmother, aged 64, and seized her by the head and hair, pinned her to the sofa and pulled her hair to her injury.

Having been granted bail on June 1, 2018, on condition that he stayed at his address between the hours of 7pm and 7am, he failed to comply with this condition.

Depute fiscal Alistair McDermott explained that on March 13, Cockerill's mother and his boyfriend were in his company. They had been drinking through the day and then attended at his grandmother's address.

"The grandmother noted they were drunk and left to attend at a friend's house," he said.

The accused and mother became involved in an argument over a bottle of vodka, the court was told.

Cockerill shouted: "You little b****** you were never there for me".

He then punched her repeatedly, biting her hair out.

Cockerill phoned his grandmother and she returned to her house.

She arrived back when the accused was in the process of assaulting his mum.

She shouted at him: "You wee s****" but Cockerill then turned on his grandmother.

He grabbed her by the face and hair and began pulling and grabbing her hair, the court heard.

Cockerill's boyfriend tried to calm him down and his mother intervened but he then eventually turned on his mother.

The accused's grandmother managed to get hold of her phone and called the police.

Cockerill left the home and was found outside on the road with blood on his clothes and hands.

His mum had a one-centimetre laceration on the back of her head and had been bitten on her inner right thigh, with scratches and bruises on her nose and a cut to her nose, while his grandmother had a two-centimetre laceration on the back of her head, was bruised and had a cut to her nose, with bruises and other scratches to her body.

Defence solicitor Peter Robertson said it was an important fact that the complainer has initiated the fight and then his client retaliated.

"It's the accused's position that his grandmother had broken up the fight and then he reacted not knowing who that person was," he added.

"He knows that if he mixes with alcohol and his mother that cocktail ends up in with him getting into trouble.

"He is looking to the future and has a place at college starting in August. Hopefully, that will bring some structure to his life."

Sheriff Charles Macnair said: "If you keep behaving in this manner you will spend most of your life in and out of custody."

The restriction of liberty order was revoked and 100 hours of unpaid work was imposed. A further 135 hours were added for the new offences.