A DUNFERMLINE man has avoided prison after causing a disturbance in Tesco and at the James Bank Hostel.

Connar Bates, 26, of Henryson Road, acted aggressively at the town centre supermarket after staff deemed him too drunk to be served alcohol.

Appearing for sentencing at Dunfermline Sheriff Court on Wednesday, he had previously admitted that on February 16, at the James Bank Hostel, he behaved in a threatening or abusive manner when he demanded entry repeatedly, kicked a secure door causing damage to it, shouted, swore, acted in an aggressive manner and uttered threats of violence.

On May 5, at Tesco, Winterthur Lane and at Carnegie Drive, he behaved in a threatening or abusive manner when he shouted and swore repeatedly at members of staff there, refused to leave the shop premises and shouted and swore at police officers repeatedly.

On May 27, at Abel Place, he behaved in a threatening or abusive manner when he adopted an aggressive manner towards his partner, uttered threats to kill himself and shouted and swore at her repeatedly.

On the same date, he did, without reasonable excuse, wilfully or recklessly destroy or damage property belonging to another and punch and strike a window with his head repeatedly, causing it to break and punch a door there repeatedly, causing damage to it.

Solicitor Alexander Flett said his client was apologetic for what had taken place.

"He has been under the care of psychiatric services for some time," he said. "He had been taken off medication. Between these two offences there is intoxication and the amount of alcohol he had consumed."

Sheriff Charles Macnair said they were "serious offences" which had been directed against Bates' partner or against people who were trying to do their jobs. "Both of these matters make these offences more serious," he said. "I am, however, just prepared to deal with this by way of a non-custodial sentence despite your record."

He placed Bates on a community payback order with supervision for 18 months with a requirement to do drug and alcohol counselling as directed.

He also placed him on two restriction of liberty orders, for four months and for 80 days, which will run consecutively.

After sentencing, Sheriff Macnair warned him: "If you fail to comply with this one, your chances of remaining at liberty are very, very remote."