FOOTBALLERS rallied in support of Rosyth teenager Lee Watson to raise £1400 at a charity football match.

The 16-year-old is currently undergoing pioneering treatment for Ewing Sarcoma – a bone cancer most commonly diagnosed in children and young adults.

His condition became apparent after experiencing pain in his foot while playing football for Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts.

Friends of Lee from Valleyfield FC initiated a charity match on Sunday against Hillfield Swifts in support of the teen.

Their efforts included a pitchside collection as well as raffling off a signed Ronaldo Boot.

Nicola Russell, club secretary at Inverkeithing Hillfoot Swifts, said: "Lee has been playing for the team for five years but he has got a lot of friends from the Valleyfield team too.

"They contacted us to say the boys wanted to do a charity match because football is what Lee loves.

"It was a fantastic day and a lot of money was raised, which will go to Lee and his family."

Lee was found to have a tumour at the bottom of his spine which had grown to the size of a melon.

Thankfully, after intensive chemotherapy, this reduced to the size of a lemon.

Lee has just headed off to Essen in Germany with mum Michelle and dad Stuart this week to start Proton Beam Therapy.

The vital treatment, which is being funded on the NHS, is only offered in Germany, Manchester and Florida.

It enables a dose of high-energy protons to be targeted precisely at a tumour, reducing the damage to surrounding healthy tissues and vital organs, which is an advantage when the cancer is close to a critical part of the body such as the spinal cord.

Lee’s illness has meant that he missed out on sitting his Nat 5 exams and his life remains on hold while his treatment continues.

Through fundraising, his friends have been able to stand alongside Lee and help him find some positivity.

Nicola added: "I think it's really impacting them, seeing someone they know going through this.

"They wanted to give him something so he can treat himself because he really has had a tough time of it.

"Lee has been playing for us for some years. He was actually playing games when he was getting a really sore leg and was really tired right up to October.

"The boys thought he would be back after a couple of weeks but it spiralled from there.

"My husband, who is their coach, told them what was happening and it was very hard-hitting, especially when they see Lee.

"Lee kicked the game off on Sunday and of course his team won!

"Afterwards they did a guard of honour for him and that was very emotional.

"Hopefully the money will make a difference."