A KELTY man started a fight in an Asda car park in the early hours of the morning.

A group of friends were talking by their cars at the store at Halbeath Retail Park when they were approached by a drunk who then attacked them.

Deane Hunter, 25, of Cocklaw Street, went on trial at Dunfermline Sheriff Court and was found guilty of two charges.

On December 23 last year at Halbeath Retail Park, he assaulted a man by punching him on the head

He also assaulted another man by repeatedly punching him on the body and seizing him.

One of the victims, a 19-year-old from Cluny, said he had been on a night out with three friends in Edinburgh and then at the bowling complex at Fife Leisure Park in Dunfermline.

They stopped at Asda to buy food when the incident happened between 1am and 2am.

He told the court that Hunter, a complete stranger, had staggered over to them and stuck his head in one of the cars.

“He was saying things like, ‘Do you think you’re the big men’. None of us knew who he was and just ignored him.

“He then put his forehead up against my forehead and was saying, ‘Do you think you’re hard?’”

He said Hunter then “went for” one of his friends. “I pushed him to the ground. He got up and came towards me.

“He started swinging at me with clenched fists and that’s when I started swinging back.”

A prolonged fight then took place with both of them falling to the ground and getting up several times.

Defence solicitor Scott McKenzie asked the witness to look at photographs of Hunter’s “significant injuries.”

The teenager said he recalled Hunter having a cut mouth but that this had been done “in retaliation”.

The second victim, aged 27, said Hunter had thrown a punch at him which started the altercation.

“He threw a right hook and it skiffed me because I dodged it. My friend pulled him away. They got into a fight and they were fighting all over the car park,” he told the court.

He said the punch-up was halted when Hunter was grabbed by two other friends and held down until police arrived.

Hunter told the court he was the one who was assaulted, being grabbed by the throat. He claimed he had gone over to confront the group after hearing a comment being made towards his girlfriend as she went into the store.

Sheriff Charles MacNair found Hunter guilty. He called for reports and sentencing will take place on August 7.