A BRAVE Rosyth teen has beaten cancer following weeks of intensive treatment.

Lee Watson received the fantastic news last week after doctors carrying out an MRI and chest scan gave him the all-clear.

The Press has been following the 16-year-old's story over the year since the promising footballer's life was put on hold by the devastating diagnosis.

The St Columba’s High pupil was diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma, a bone cancer most commonly diagnosed in children and young adults.

Mum Michelle said: "I was just ecstatic! It's such a big release.

"It's always in the back of your mind wondering what could happen but now all the worrying stops.

"It's been a long 12 months.

"Lee's spirits have lifted and he's hoping to go to college and just get back to normal.

"He's also started helping out at Hillfield Swifts.

"Hopefully it won't be long until he gets his boots on!"

Lee missed out on taking his Nat 5 exams in the summer after suffering from unbearable pain in his left foot last autumn while playing for Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts.

By January, a tumour was found at the bottom of his spine which had grown to the size of a melon and was pushing on his leg muscles, causing his painful symptoms.

He first went through a round of chemotherapy which shrunk the tumour to the size of a lemon but there was still a long way to go.

Lee was then put forward for pioneering Proton Beam Therapy and, at the beginning of July, headed to Essen in Germany for a 33-day cycle of the course of treatment as well as more rounds of chemo.

The teen "rang the bell" on September 6 but it was still a waiting game to get a scan and find out if he was in remission.

"There is still a bit of a tumour there but it's dead," Michelle added.

"It's great news but there is still a long way to go with recovery.

"He'll be going to the Commonwealth pool in November just to build up his muscles again.

"They'll be keeping a close eye on him and he'll have another scan in 15 months.

"It'll him take some time to get back to himself but he's looking well.

"They believe it will take another three to six months before he really picks up and he's back to how he should be.

"He's still very tired and sleeping through the day so he's trying to get back to a normal routine now."

Lee was also gifted this week with £550 of donations from a charity football match in Rosyth.

The event was organised by Brenda Stewart and staff at The Gothenburg Hotel.

Lee's footballer friends rallied behind him in July raising £1,400 at a charity match.

Again, they stepped up to the mark this week buying him hospitality tickets for his one of his favourite teams, Leeds United.