A MAN who threatened police with a crowbar after they attended a disturbance in Rosyth has been ordered to do unpaid work.

Keanen Young, 21, of Admiralty Road, had tried to prevent police from coming into a house and then jumped out of a window to try to escape.

Appearing for sentencing at Dunfermline Sheriff Court on Wednesday, he had previously admitted that on May 29, at a property in Mitchell Walk, he had behaved in a threatening or abusive manner by shouting, swearing and uttering threats of violence towards police officers while in possession of a crowbar.

Depute fiscal Azrah Yousaf said officers had been called about reports of a disturbance at a house full of teenagers.

They got there at around 4am and Young answered the door and refused access when requested.

When they spoke to the householder, a drunken Young began shouting over the top of the officers, stating they had no right to be in the property, adding: "I know the law and I am going to have your job" before telling them to "get f****** out".

Things calmed down and officers left but shouting started before they got downstairs. They returned and spoke to another man before Young appeared and said: "I have got a weapon and I will do them if they come through the door."

He was holding a small red crowbar and shouted: "If you come in I am going to hit you."

At that point, police officers had requested assistance and moved away from the door. While waiting for other units to arrive, they heard what appeared to be a window open and a large thud and someone was shouting out in pain.

They found Young lying on the floor having jumped out of the window.

Solicitor Ian Beatson said his client was "very embarrassed" by the incident.

"He cannot understand why he acted in that way," he said. "He has consumed alcohol and it has not caused him issues and cannot understand why it caused him issues on this occasion. He realises now he had drank too much alcohol that evening.

"He is very ashamed for what has taken place and asked me to apologise to all concerned. He doesn't know why he threatened them either. When he left the house, he was trying to make good his escape rather than having a confrontation with the police."

Sheriff Charles Macnair said the offence had been committed while Young was "heavily" intoxicated.

"That is not mitigation, it is aggravation, and it involved threatening police officers with a weapon," he said. "Police officers are entitled to the protection of the court and behaviour of this sort will not be tolerated.

"You are, however, a first offender and I am prepared to deal with you by way of a non-custodial sentence."

He placed Young on a community payback order requiring him to do 150 hours of unpaid work within six months.