A LEARNER driver decided to get behind the wheel on his own and go for a spin.

When he was stopped by police, Brian Duncan gave a false name, that of his boyfriend.

Duncan, 38, of High Street, Cowdenbeath, appeared in the dock at Dunfermline Sheriff Court.

He admitted that on February 27, on the B981 Crossgates to Inverkeithing road, he drove as a provisional licence-holder when not accompanied by a qualified driver and not displaying ‘L’ plates. He also drove without insurance.

Duncan also admitted that he pretended to police officers that he was his boyfriend, in order to avoid arrest and attempted to pervert the course of justice.

Depute fiscal Dev Kapadia said: “The matter came to light at around 10.25pm. Two police officers were on mobile patrol behind a vehicle being driven by the accused. They activated their blue lights and stopped him.”

Duncan told officers he did not have his driving documents with him. They became suspicious when he hesitated when asked to spell his name.

He was then unsure what age he was and the date of birth given did not match up with his physical appearance, the depute added.

Despite their suspicions, the officers allowed Duncan to continue his journey. However, he later went to the police station after speaking to the man named.

Defence solicitor Fraser Napier said: “He simply panicked at the time. He’s gone into panic mode.”

“Why was he driving in the first place?” asked Sheriff Alastair Brown.

“He’d been told by his driving instructor he was ready to sit his test. He decided to go out and practise,” the solicitor answered.

“So, he thought it was a good idea to go out at night to practise,” said the sheriff.

Asked whose name had been given, the solicitor answered: “It was his partner. They live together.” He added that his client had put his driving plans “on the back burner”.

The sheriff commented: “This was a deliberate deception and he persisted in it with some determination when it was clear he was lying. I’m astonished the police let him drive away.”

Sheriff Brown called for reports and deferred sentence until November 27. He imposed a temporary driving ban until then.