The Queensferry Crossing re-opened at 10.45am with bridge operators and weather forecasters now confident that the risk of ice and snow accumulating and falling from the cables has passed.

Operating company Amey have been continually monitoring the bridge since it was closed to traffic on Monday, working with partners to build a more accurate understanding of the specific processes that led to the problems.

They are now confident that it is safe to reopen the bridge.

More wintry weather is forecast, however proactive monitoring of the bridge will continue throughout this period.

Mark Arndt, account director for Amey, said: “We thank drivers for their patience and understanding during this closure.

"Safety had to come first, however the data we have gathered has improved our understanding of the issue and will help us to improve predictions and refine operating procedures in future.”

SNP MP for Dunfermline and West Fife, Douglas Chapman said: “The decision to close the bridge was the correct one as having ice and snow falling from the structure is extremely dangerous for drivers and could have caused serious injury or much worse.

“I would like to thank everyone who has worked hard throughout the day and night to make sure the bridge is reopened again and also to commuters who were patient, and used their resilience and initiative to use extra trains and buses that were put on throughout the period the bridge was closed.

“The Queensferry Crossing is now an important part of our connectivity and so far it has proved incredibly reliable, even more so than the Forth Road Bridge was, and our safety must take precedence over anything else.”

The bridge shut to all traffic on Monday evening after ice and snow fell from the bridge’s cables onto vehicles below. 

Drivers were faced with a 34-mile detour via the Kincardine Bridge and the closure led to traffic gridlock and huge tailbacks across the central belt. 

Traffic could not be diverted over the adjacent Forth Road Bridge as only one carriageway was open, although it remained a public transport corridor with Stagecoach putting on extra buses.

ScotRail also ran more trains to and from the capital.  

The crossing was closed as a safety precaution after eight cars were damaged by falling blocks of ice from the cables and towers.