A MAN has been jailed today (Friday) after brutally trying to murder his pensioner stepfather in a horrific attack at a sheltered housing complex.

David Nicholson applauded as the 72-year-old victim was taken in a wheelchair suffering life-threatening injuries to a waiting ambulance after the assault.

Nicholson, 31, repeatedly punched and kicked Thomas Melling during the attempted murder and throttled him until he blacked out and hit him with a microwave.

He had earlier turned up at Mr Melling's home under the influence of drink and asked for money.

Nicholson, of Beauly Court, Falkirk, got some cash but returned an hour later to launch a ferocious attack on the pensioner at his home in Inverkeithing.

Advocate depute Eric Robertson told the High Court in Edinburgh that Nicholson drove up at speed and began banging on the door of Mr Melling's home.

The prosecutor said: "Thomas Melling opened his door and saw the accused there. The accused immediately punched him on the face and grabbed him by the throat."

"After this, Mr Melling has little recollection of events as he was in and out of consciousness. He does recall the accused striking him so that he fell, then dragging him towards the living area and repeatedly kicking him on the body," he said.

Mr Robertson added: "Mr Melling's next memory is of being in hospital in Edinburgh."

Nicholson was seen climbing out of a window at Mr Melling's home and a warden went to check on him and found him lying on the floor bleeding heavily from his face.

Mr Robertson said: "A chair had been knocked over and there was a microwave lying next to Mr Melling's right hip. The glass door of the microwave was smashed. There was glass all over his chest and right arm and over the floor."

Blood splatter from the victim was on a wall. An ambulance was summoned.

Nicholson was heard shouting: "He deserves it. I will be back and try again. I want him dead."

Paramedics considered that the serious injuries to Mr Melling were life-threatening and consistent with repeated kicking.

As the victim was taken to an ambulance Nicholson shouted: "You f****r. You got what you deserved."

Mr Robertson said: "The accused also applauded and was told off for doing so by a paramedic."

The victim was found to have sustained six fractured ribs and bleeding to the brain among a catalogue of injuries and spent 30 days in critical care.

Nicholson was arrested by police in Inverkeithing with blood on his hands and face.

Mr Robertson told the court that Mr Melling had a relationship with Nicholson's mother for about 18 years but it ended in 2011.

Unemployed Nicholson previously worked as a welder and had recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

Prior to the attack on Mr Melling he had stayed at a friend's home and on the day of the murder bid was drinking Buckfast tonic wine.

He left the flat and appeared angry.

Nicholson admitted attempting to murder Mr Melling in the attack at his home on July 31 last year.

Defence solicitor advocate Gordon Martin told the court: "He had lost his job, been diagnosed with diabetes and was drinking excessively."

The judge, Lord Burns, told Nicholson: "Having regard to the seriousness of this offence, custody is inevitable."

He deferred sentence on Nicholson for the preparation of a background report and remanded him in custody. Nicholson was previously on bail.