A DRUG addict who failed to tell police officers he had an uncapped needle in his pocket has been jailed.

Michael Stocks, 38, of Pentland Terrace, High Valleyfield, was being searched and revealed he did have one needle in his sock but omitted to tell police about another in his coat pocket.

Appearing for sentencing at Dunfermline Sheriff Court on Wednesday, he had previously admitted that on October 3, 2018, at James Street, he culpably and recklessly denied being in possession of any pointed articles or sharp instruments when asked and did induce one officer to search him whereby he found an uncapped needle concealed in his jacket pocket and exposed him to the risk of injury and infection.

He also admitted a charge of failing to appear at Dunfermline Sheriff Court on June 27 last year and breaching bail conditions requiring him to remain in his bail address between 7pm and 7am on January 21 and January 26 this year when he failed to present himself at the door when requested to do so by police officers.

Depute fiscal Laura McManus said the incident took place at the James Bank Hostel. "There were concerns about a male which turned out to be the accused," she told the court. "The concern was he had overdosed and appeared to be heavily intoxicated."

She said that when police attended, they found him clearly under the influence of drugs. He was detained and searched and asked if he had any pointed articles. He said he had one needle in his sock which he recovered and then said there were no other needles or pointed articles.

During the search, an officer found an uncapped needle in a jacket pocket.

Solicitor Ian Beatson said that at the time of the initial incident, his client was having difficulties with a heroin addiction and was also using street Valium.

"He had taken heroin. He has little recollection of it," he said. "It would appear he had overlooked one needle on him. It was more reckless than intentional."

Sheriff James Macdonald sentenced Stocks to 45 days of imprisonment backdated to January 27 for breaching his bail conditions and placed him on a community payback order with supervision for 12 months for the incident at the James Bank Hostel.