THE first photograph in this week's trip down West Fife's Memory Lane shows the interior of the Alhambra when it operated as a bingo hall before being transformed into the extremely successful venue it is today.

The Alhambra opened in 1922 with a performance of the silent film, 'Over The Hill'. Originally seating 1,700 patrons, the Alhambra boasted one of the largest stages in Scotland and was home to two Steinway grand pianos.

In its early days, it played host to a wealth of top performers and touring companies. Although it was disappointing to many that such a beautiful theatre should offer films rather than live entertainment, entertainment tastes changed and, in 1924, the decision was made to turn the Alhambra into 'The Temple of Motion Pictures', as cinema was packing in crowds throughout the country.

Later in its long history, it went on to host many of the biggest names in entertainment at the time, such as Harry Gordon, Andy Stewart, The Alexander Brothers, Jimmy Logan and the White Heather Club.

The Alhambra changed hands a few times, from the Alhambra Ltd to AB King in 1936, JB Milne in 1946 and to Caledonian Associated Cinemas (CAC) in the 1950s. The largest neon sign in Fife was added to the building in 1950.

It was converted in 1965 for use as a bingo hall like many such venues throughout Scotland at that time, and operated successfully until its closure in 2006.

The second photograph shows the Alhambra being used for a three-night presentation in 1961 for 'The Senior Service Show'. This had nothing to do with entertainment for senior citizens or the Royal Navy, and was to promote the sale of Senior Service cigarettes at a time when smoking was permitted in cinemas and theatres. Entry was free and cigarettes were also distributed to the audience free of charge – though at least this was restricted to adults only!

The next two photographs were provided by Press reader Angela De Hollander (nee Maloco). The first shows the Venice Cafe, which was situated on the corner of Hospital Hill and the top of St Andrew Street, and shows Angela's grandfather, Guido Corrieri, who bought the business and turned it into the Brucefield Cafe around 1930. He is pictured on the right of the photo with his friend, Alec Wilson, in the middle and an Italian worker on the left. It is now the Everest Inn restaurant.

The next photograph shows Maloco's cafe in 1959 which was situated alongside the Regal Picture House in the High Street. The area was devastated by a fire in 1976 and the building that replaced it was Littlewoods and is now Primark.

More photographs like these can also be seen at as well as in Dunfermline Carnegie Library and Galleries where 'Old Dunfermline' DVDs will be on sale in the shop when it re-opens to the public. Old Dunfermline DVDs are also available online at