FIFE COUNCIL began consultations with communities on Monday over the ‘rewilding’ of grasslands in order to increase biodiversity and reduce carbon emissions.

The authority says the new project hopes to “bring colour and life back to areas of maintained grassland making them healthier places for people and wildlife to use and enjoy”.

The consultation period will run until November 9 with local residents able to look at proposals for their local grassland area online.

However, the policy has already come under fire with hundreds of people signing a petition against the proposed rewilding of areas in other areas of the Kingdom.  

Councillor Ross Vettraino, convener of the environment and protective services sub-committee, said: “This consultation is about making positive change to the way we manage our grasslands.

“The proposal affects 10 per cent of the grassland Fife Council manages and the remaining 90 per cent will continue to be cut in the traditional way.

"If we act on the proposals, we can begin to reduce carbon emissions, improve our biodiversity and make spaces where people and communities can connect with nature.

“Many of us are keen to see healthy habitats for our wildlife such as birds, insects and small mammals and to walk and exercise in a natural environment.

“We know this has a big impact on improving our mental and physical health and wellbeing.”

By letting the grass grow ‘wild’ and reducing intensive grass-cutting, the proposals will cut carbon emissions by 10 per cent, according to the council, helping it to meet its target of a 40 per cent reduction by 2030.

To find out more and have your say on the grassland project, visit: