A FORMAL investigation has been launched by the Kingsgate Shopping Centre after an online video clip showing staff ejecting a shopper who tried to film in the mall went viral.

Centre manager Neil Mackie said they were taking the matter "very seriously" after several readers contacted the Press on Sunday night to express concerns, with the footage showing a man, Alan Newton, being threatened and apparently jostled.

He was told he wasn't allowed to film inside the centre, which he disputed, and the situation escalated with one member of staff asking him: "Would it be funny if I f****** knocked you out, aye?"

Three members of staff escorted him from the Kingsgate and the footage includes further aggressive exchanges in the five-minutes film, with Mr Newton being told to 'Shut up you idiot' and that he'd be arrested if he returned.

He complained of being assaulted and said he would contact the police, adding at one point to the security guards: "I'm filming you for my safety now."

In a statement, Mr Mackie said: "We have been made aware of the video footage produced by Mr Alan Newton on Monday March 1 at the Kingsgate Shopping Centre, Dunfermline.

"We acknowledge the actions by members of our security team falls below the high standards of professionalism expected by us and our customers. As a consequence a formal investigation has been commenced.

"The act of producing video or still images, is prohibited under Home Office guidance in privately owned places open to the general public and this is clearly stated at every entrance to the Kingsgate Shopping Centre.

"However, it appears we failed to communicate this in an appropriate manner to Mr Newton."

He continued: "Our thorough investigations will continue and any resultant actions affecting the relevant site personnel will be undertaken by their employer, our SIA ACS accredited third party supplier Joint Security Services.

"I would like to assure you that all members of the Kingsgate Centre team work tirelessly to ensure the safety, security and comfort of our valued customers.

"For this reason more than any other we take and act on all complaints very seriously."

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "We can confirm that a report was received around 3.30pm on Monday, March 1.

"Enquiries are ongoing."