A KELTY mum has branded a new playpark in the village as unsafe after her toddler fell and broke his arm.

Sharon Whyte had taken two-year-old Tommy to the facility in Bath Street but the trip ended in agony when he fell through a gap in the climbing frame.

A subsequent visit to A&E revealed he had broken his left arm in several places and the youngster was due to undergo emergency surgery yesterday (Wednesday).

Sharon, of Cocklaw Street, now wants to warn parents of the dangers of the park and has expressed her anger that no age recommendation for the play equipment is on show at the park.

"This park is unsafe for children and this needs to be highlighted so something can be done," she said. "The council are saying that the park is only suitable for age four-plus but nowhere is this stated for parents to see and they are saying the park is safe, which I think is ridiculous.

"We went up on Monday. We had been once before but it was really busy so we went to see it and came back. Then yesterday, his big sister was at school and I thought he would have time.

"My sister-in-law went up after to get a rough idea of the size and it is definitely too big for kids to go across. It is definitely not suitable for over-fours either.

"It has got a bridge thing but it has got three bits to step on but the gaps in between are huge. I was watching him the full time and he has fallen so quickly I didn't have time to grab him.

"Because it is a new-build, they will be building other parks like it so it will happen to more children. It is definitely unsafe.

"He is trying to be happy but he is in so much pain. It is awful to see him like this as he is normally such a happy boy."

Stephen Duffy, Fife Council team manager grounds maintenance, confirmed they were looking into the incident.

"We're sorry to hear about this incident and wish Tommy a speedy recovery," he said. "We are currently investigating the issue. Once this is complete, we'll assess further actions to ensure the safety of the playpark users."