PLANS are in the making to highlight the heritage of Donibristle Chapel in Dalgety Bay.

A interpretation board will be ready to go if Fife Council give it the thumbs up telling visitors all about the history of the 18th century site.

The council, Fife Coast and Countryside Trust and the Earl of Moray have all been involved in the project.

The chapel, just north of River View, was built as a private mortuary for Donibristle House and nine earls of Moray are buried there.

Donibristle House was demolished when Dalgety Bay was built on the lands formerly belonging to the house and the chapel is now surrounded by a modern housing development.

A category A listed building, it was designed by architect Alexander McGill and completed in 1731 – his name is inscribed on the interior staircase.

It was an Episcopalian place of worship and it is said that under the floor there are 17 coffins, nine of which are Earls of Moray.

The first laid to rest, Charles, the 6th Earl, died in 1735 and the last, George Phillip, the 14th Earl, died in 1895.

Donibristle House, which is associated with the chapel, was first mentioned in the 12th century as the residence of the Abbot of Inchcolm.

But in 1543, Inchcolm Abbey with Inchcolm Island and all other possessions associated with it, which included the lands of Donibristle, were given to James Stewart by James V of Scotland.

By a subsequent marriage, the Moray and the Doune families were merged into one and Donibristle became the property of the Earl of Moray.

The second Earl was murdered on the shores of Donibristle after he was linked with the King’s wife.

By the early 18th century, Donibristle House was redesigned by Alexander McGill, but in 1858, the main block was ravaged by fire.

In 1912, the shell was pulled down leaving the two wings and it was used by the navy in the second world war.

The Moray estate was sold to property developers who built the new town of Dalgety Bay in the 1960s which ran from Aberdour to St. David’s Harbour.

If permission is given for the interpretation board, visitors will also be able to find out nuggets of information on the rare Strawberry Tree planted on the grounds, the sea dragon 'protectors' of the gardens, Donibristle Stables as well as the Ice House.