A DUNFERMLINE woman told a court she was stabbed in the neck by her partner after they binge-watched episodes of Game of Thrones during an all-night drinking session.

Pauline Wilkes said Andrew Gibson attacked her after she criticised him for drinking alcohol during the day, “sneaking it” and “putting it in juice bottles when there was no need”.

She said she saw "blood spurting" and asked him 'Are you going to kill me?'

The disagreement was sparked by Ms Wilkes finding one of the juice bottles in the livingroom of her flat in Dunfermline as they prepared to go to bed at 8am that morning.

She said Gibson, who had been in a relationship with her for just over a year, was “being a bit cheeky about it” so she threw the contents on him and went to the kitchen to calm down.

Ms Wilkes told the High Court in Livingston she returned to sit on the sofa while Gibson went into the kitchen and then came back and sat next to her.

She said: “He put his arm round me. I thought he was giving me a cuddle. I didn’t say anything to him and then he’s put the knife in my neck.

“(I felt) nothing really, just a bit of pressure. I didn’t realise he’d actually put a knife in my neck.

“He brought it round to the front. I don’t know what was going through his head. I thought he was going to put it in the front of my neck.

“I looked at him and said: ‘Are you trying to kill me?’

“I seen the blood spurting. I thought I was going to die!”

She said she fled downstairs but he followed her into the street still carrying the paring knife.

She said she started banging on a neighbour’s door in a desperate bid to get help but passed out from blood loss and fell to the ground.

She said: “I think he must have been there because I heard him saying to a neighbour: ‘I stabbed her’.”

Neighbour Miss Amanda McKenzie, 44, said she went to Pauline’s aid after a young man burst into her house saying someone had been stabbed.

She said: “Pauline was covered in blood on the ground at her neighbour’s door.

“I actually thought she was dead. (Blood was) spurting out of her neck. I screamed for help and towels and we tried to stop the bleeding.”

Miss McKenzie said she didn’t see the accused at first until he tried to move her away.

She said: “I argued with him because he wouldn’t allow me to attend to Pauline.

"He was saying he knew how to do first aid and I was screaming to him to get out of the way because obviously I knew it was him who had just done it.

“I didn’t realise he still had the knife in his hand until he got really angry when I told him to get out of my way and he stabbed it into the grass.

"It was a yellow handled blade, I’d say maybe four inches. It was jaggy on the edges.”

The jury was given agreed evidence that Ms Wilkes' blood and DNA had been found on the knife blade near the hilt and on the handle.

Gibson’s DNA was recovered from the handle.

Ms Wilkes was rushed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary as a “code red trauma” – when there’s a high risk the patient could bleed to death or die from their injuries.

Professor Michael Gillies, 50, an intensive care consultant at the hospital said the 5mm puncture wound just above her collarbone was consistent with being stabbed by the knife.

He said: “There was concern the wound could puncture a lung as well as sever blood vessels in the neck.

“The knife had not punctured any of the great vessels such as the carotid artery or jugular vein for example. If those are cut they can result in fatal bleeding.”

Gibson, 51, from Dunfermline, denies attempted murder.

He is charged with assaulting Ms Wilkes to her severe injury, permanent disfigurement and danger of life at her then home in Leishman Drive on December 9, 2020.

The trial, before Lord Richardson, continues.