East of Scotland League, Premier Division: Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 1 Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale 1

INVERKEITHING Hillfield Swifts saw their run of Premier Division matches without victory stretch to six.

Pat Scullion's team were on course for victory thanks to a first-half goal from Greig Spence in a 45 minutes that saw them have several chances.

Spence had a spot-kick saved, while the hosts also had an effort cleared off the line, and those opportunities came back to haunt them as Louis Signorini levelled early in the second half.

"In the last few weeks, we've been playing some really nice football," Scullion said.

"We asked the players to be a bit braver on the ball, to pass, and in the last couple of weeks I feel we've been getting that.

"We played really well in the first half. We lost a goal just after half-time, which was frustrating, and then we lost our way for five or 10 minutes. But, late on, we were still pushing to get a goal.

"If we keep doing the right things and working hard, our luck will change. We won't get too carried away or too disheartened.

"We've played 10 games; four we've won, four we've lost, and two we've drawn. We're on around the same points as at this stage last season.

"If we did that in the next 10, we'd be safe, but we want to try and do as well as we can."

East of Scotland League, Premier Division: Vale of Leithen 1 Oakley United 3

OAKLEY UNITED secured their first points since winning promotion last season.

Peter Goldie, who took over as manager following Stewart Kenny's departure in the summer, secured his first Premier Division victory in the Borders.

Oakley made a dream start when Johnny Harrison gave them the lead with their first attack of the match.

Scott Bruce, on the stroke of half-time, netted their second from Derek Murray's cross, after the visitors had struck the woodwork moments before, but Vale of Leithen pulled a goal back with 20 minutes to go.

However, in the final minute, Mark Mooney scored the third to clinch the points, and a delighted Goldie said: "We travelled with a depleted squad. We picked up a few injuries in training on Thursday; we only had 12 fit players, so we had to bring some of the under-20s up to fill the squad. I've no complaints – they came in and did the job.

"It was thoroughly deserved and I hope it builds belief in the players. If they believe in themselves, we can compete."

Attention switches to South Challenge Cup action this weekend, with Oakley travelling to play league leaders Linlithgow Rose, who won 5-1 at Blairwood Park in the league in August.

"It will be a tough one, with the squad we've got, but it's two teams, 11 v 11," Goldie added.

"I've played myself in games where you're the underdogs and come away with a result. If we turn up and play the way we can, we can give them a better game than the last time."

East of Scotland League, Premier Division: Crossgates Primrose 1 Linlithgow Rose 4

CROSSGATES Primrose fell to only their third league defeat of the season.

Alan Campbell's team, who had won their last four Premier Division home matches in succession, fell behind on the half-hour mark when Mark Stowe's penalty gave the visitors the lead after skipper Brian Ritchie was penalised for a foul on Jack Ogilvie.

Sean Heaver doubled Linlithgow's advantage five minutes after the interval, before the same player made it 3-0 with just over 20 minutes to go.

Scott Lawrie bundled in for Crossgates from close range with nine minutes to go, before Heaver completed his hat-trick in the final minute to seal Rose's victory.

Campbell reflected: "I was a wee bit disappointed with how we played but we have to just dust ourselves down and get on with it. We didn't quite reach our level but we're still reasonably placed in the league."

East of Scotland League, First Division: Kennoway Star Hearts 1 Rosyth 2

GREIG DENHAM believes that Rosyth have played better during his tenure but was delighted to watch his side pick up another three points.

Since taking charge last month, he has now guided the team to three wins from four matches, with Saturday's success their first on the road in the league this season.

Kyle Stark, taking advantage of a loose back pass, gave the home side an early lead but Ryan McDonald equalised for the visitors from close range shortly before the interval.

Kennoway went into the break a man down, losing Jamie McLelland to a red card, and Ryan Lemetti joined him five minutes after the restart after an aerial challenge.

With six minutes to go, Rosyth broke through the nine men when Gregg Page looped a header into the net, and boss Denham, who watched his team hit the woodwork several times in the first half, said: "If you'd said to me when I took the job that we'd pick up nine points from 12, we'd have absolutely taken that. It maybe wasn't quite the performance we were hoping for, but it's a win on the board against stuffy opposition on not a great pitch.

"It helps build confidence and a winning mentality. It's important to get into a winning habit, and have resilience, and the winner at the weekend showed that."

l Saturday's fixtures: South Challenge Cup, second round – Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts v Kilsyth Athletic (2pm), Linlithgow Rose v Oakley United (2.30pm).