ATHLETIC'S SPFL Trust Trophy quarter-final tie is off for a second time, it has been announced.

The Pars had been due to take on Championship outfit Dundee this evening (Tuesday) at the Kilmac Stadium at Dens Park but, following a pitch inspection this afternoon, it has been postponed.

The teams had been scheduled to meet last Tuesday evening but, less than an hour before kick-off, an examination of the surface by the match referee resulted in the contest, which had been due to be beamed live on BBC Alba, being cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch.

It was then rescheduled for this evening but, yesterday, the hosts announced that they had contacted the SPFL to organise a pitch inspection for this afternoon at 1.30pm.

That followed the Dark Blues' home league game with Partick Thistle, on Saturday, being called off due to a waterlogged pitch, and the surface has failed another inspection.

In a statement, Dundee said: "Following a pitch inspection this afternoon, tonight’s match against Dunfermline Athletic in the SPFL Trust Trophy has been postponed.

"The match has been postponed due to constant freezing temperatures over the past two days leaving the pitch in an unplayable condition.

"Tonight’s match is the third match to be called off in a short period of time at the Kilmac Stadium and all within the club feel the same frustrations as supporters that these matches have been unable to go ahead. A significant amount of work has been put in place for each fixture from all departments.

"The first two matches were called off due to heavy rain and after Saturday’s match against Partick Thistle failed an inspection the club looked ahead to the forecast for the coming week.

"While we were aware freezing temperatures were coming in this financial climate it would have been fiscally irresponsible for the club to put the undersoil heating on. We informed the SPFL of this well in advance of today.

"On Monday, we contacted the league to request an inspection as early as possible to try and limit the disruption for both clubs and both sets of supporters that was felt last Tuesday with such a late call-off.

"The referee inspected the pitch today and has deemed it unplayable.

"We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this postponement and will update on a rescheduled date as soon as we receive that information."

A third attempt to play the game, the winners of which will play Raith Rovers in the semi-finals, will be made next Tuesday (January 24) at 7.45pm.