PET owners are being warned to remain vigilant after a dog was poisoned in a Fife park.

The Scottish SPCA are appealing for information on the incident which saw a Westie, Abbi, ingest rat poison concealed in chunks of meat.

It happened during a walk at Greenwell Park in Glenrothes on January 4.

Robyn Gray, Scottish SPCA inspector, said: "Thankfully Abbi’s owner acted quickly and immediately rushed her to the vets at the first sign that something was wrong. Abbi’s faeces were black in colour which is a common sign of poisoning.

"Abbi had to be placed on a drip while at the vets and is now home but still needs medication.

"We are very concerned about the circumstances surrounding how Abbi came to be poisoned. This is a very serious incident which, had her owner not acted with such speed, could have had a very different outcome. "Using poison, or any dangerous item, with the intent of deliberately harming animals is a crime and is enforceable by law.

"We would urge all pet owners to be vigilant in the Greenwell Park area.

"If your pet shows any signs that they may have been poisoned, take them to the vet immediately.

"If anyone has any information about this case or that toxic substances are being deliberately used against animals, then we would urge them to contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999."