Rosyth 2 St Andrews United 4, King Cup, second round

ROSYTH boss Greig Denham has told his players that they are playing for their futures after they exited the King Cup on Tuesday night.

The East of Scotland League, First Division side looked set to be heading through to the next stage of the competition at the Fleet Grounds when Tam Hampson and Aiden McAvoy put them two goals to the good.

However, Denham lamented his team's defending as Scott Reekie pulled a goal back before the interval, and two goals in four early second half minutes from Lewis Sawers and James Collins turned the tie on its head.

Reece Redpath's strike 11 minutes from time sealed Rosyth's exit, and Denham said: "It's disappointing that we find ourselves two goals up and unable to see it out.

"We know there is work to be done, what needs to be done to the squad, and boys are now vying to stay at the club.

"We've not been under any illusions since we came in that there needs to be improvement. The squad needs to be improved in the summer, and certainly defensively is an area we need to look to strengthen.

"Being an ex-defender myself, it's frustrating when you watch basic errors; balls over the top, square balls, wingers getting in behind.

"It's something that needs to be addressed and will be addressed."

Broxburn Athletic 2 Oakley United 2, East of Scotland League, Premier Division

OAKLEY UNITED ended a run of 11 straight league defeats with a battling point at mid-table Broxburn Athletic.

Peter Goldie's side were four minutes away from registering only their second victory of the season, before conceding an equaliser, but the Blairwood Park boss praised his players for "buying into" his ideas.

Two goals in the final minute had seen Oakley lose to Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts the weekend before, whilst three goals on the road at third top Sauchie in midweek wasn't enough to yield a points reward.

The visitors, however, have been showing signs of improvement in recent weeks, which continued at Albyn Park, despite Broxburn taking a 21st minute lead from former Kelty Hearts striker, Errol Douglas.

Oakley, though, responded well and, after previously being denied by the home goalkeeper, Bruce Mcadam pulled them level by finishing a cross into the box.

After the hosts had a goal chalked off for a foul, Goldie's men took the lead just after the hour mark when Ryan Yapoudjian's fierce, back post finish gave Shaun Donoghue no chance, which looked like setting Oakley up for victory.

However, late on, Greg Binnie netted an equaliser for Broxburn, but Goldie said: "The squad we have just now is full of players with the same vision as everyone involved at the club. That is the biggest compliment I can give the lads as they are buying into what we want to do here.

"There have been a lot of games this season where we have deserved something from the game and received nothing. However, the boys have picked themselves up every week and kept going. The last few games, we haven’t been far away, and have given some of the top end teams a real scare.

"We have some good games coming up and the boys are building on their performances week to week, which is all we can ask for."

Sauchie Juniors 2 Crossgates Primrose 1, East of Scotland League, Premier Division

TWO goals either side of half time proved to be Crossgates Primrose's undoing as they fell to defeat at Sauchie on Saturday.

Beaten 2-1 by their opponents at home earlier in the season, Alan Campbell's team lost out by the same scoreline at Beechwood Park, with the boss lamenting the concession of goals just before and just after the break.

After what Campbell described as a "catalogue of errors", Brian Morgan put Sauchie ahead, before a well-worked second, finished by Ross Kavanagh, doubled their advantage.

Primrose responded well, with Finn Graham hitting the bar, before Cammy Muirhead – back after a six week absence – gave them hope with just under 20 minutes to go.

The visitors, however, couldn't find a leveller, and Campbell said: "It was a disappointing day all round.

"Sauchie are a good side, and have been on a good run, so we knew it was going to be tough. It was a tight game, especially in the first half; we had two or three good chances, and didn't take them, but so did they.

"We lost a cheap goal just before half time that was poorly defended, but, at half time, I was confident we could get back in it. We changed the system but shot ourselves in the foot at the start of the second half.

"We did well after that. We got a goal back, we hit the bar, and had a couple of wee half chances. I was probably a wee bit disappointed with the last 15 minutes. They managed the game well and probably deserved the win.

"They did what we didn't do, and defended their goal really well."

Primrose, meanwhile, have bolstered their ranks with the loan signings of midfielders Darren Smith and Lewis Owens, from Dunbar United and Kelty Hearts respectively, and the permanent acquisition of another, Jackson Cowan.

Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale 3 Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 1, East of Scotland League, Premier Division

CRAIG MORRISON hailed the Swifts' first half showing at Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale as their "best performance" since he took charge.

But he was left to rue a second half red card for their goalscorer, Ynyr Liddell, as the hosts fought back to win this Friday night duel in the capital.

The Swifts crossed the Forth on the back of two successive derby wins, over Crossgates and Oakley respectively, and were on course for a third win in a row when Liddell put them ahead in the final minute of the first half.

It was a lead Morrison felt his team merited but, having already been booked, Liddell picked up a second yellow card 11 minutes after the restart - and that proved to be the game's major turning point.

Within a minute, Ben Viola equalised for the hosts and, after he scored a penalty with around 20 minutes to go, Louis Signorini completed a brace late-on to ensure the points stayed at Ainslie Park.

"I thought the first half was our best performance since we took over," Morrison, who had no complaints over the bookings given to Liddell, commented.

"We were in total control of the game. We were brilliant in possession and the way we worked the ball up the park was a joy to watch. We should have went in at half time at least three goals up.

"It was a 25-30 yard wonder strike from Ynyr, and well deserved. We said at half time that we were so dominant, and our goalkeeper had not had a save to make, so we set the expectation that they're going to get a rocket.

"Ynyr has been outstanding for us, but it was a tackle he didn't need to make. The dynamic of the game changed. It's a big pitch and, collectively, we agreed we could have managed the game better. When we got a man sent off, I think a bit of panic set in.

"It's a learning process and we'll definitely learn from it."

Saturday's fixtures (kick offs 2.30pm): East of Scotland League, League Cup, first round: Oakley United v Stirling University, Rosyth v Kinnoull, Whitehill Welfare v Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts.