THE head coach of Dunfermline Rugby Club's men's first XV side admitted they were "disheartened" after their league deciding match was called off.

However, Gavin Emerson is pleased that the game against Aberdeen Wanderers is set to be rescheduled, with a victory guaranteeing the Tennent's Men's Caledonia Region League, Division One, title and promotion to the national leagues.

In last week's Press Sport, we reported that Dunfermline were set to welcome the division's bottom side to McKane Park in their final league outing of the campaign, sitting two points clear of nearest challengers, Ellon.

Victory for Dunfermline would be enough to seal top spot, regardless of how Ellon fared in their last game against Hillfoots, which had been due to take place at the weekend, but was also called off due to the Clackmannanshire side having insufficient players to fulfil the fixture.

That has been rescheduled for March 11, which is when Emerson is hopeful Dunfermline will aim to play Aberdeen, who were unable to play due to player availability, and seal a place in next season's inaugural Tennent's National League Division Four.

"I am happy that we have to play," Emerson said.

"Years ago, it would've been a 28-0 win to Dunfermline; well done, you've won the league. I think, because we've not had many home games this season, just due to the league being shorter, fans who maybe can't travel haven't seen as much of the first XV as they'd have liked to, so it's good on that side of it as well.

"It's going to have to get replayed or rescheduled. It's not a case of we get the points and we're in the clubhouse with a trophy. It should be a better occasion when we have to actually play to win it.

"The guys were a bit disheartened last Thursday night when we told them at training. You can't help but be frustrated, for it to be on hold again."

Aberdeen, who lost the reverse fixture between the teams by an 83-12 scoreline in September, had originally been due to travel to West Fife in early December, but had insufficient players available for the game.

It was subsequently moved to January 21, in what would have been Dunfermline's penultimate league fixture, only for a frozen pitch to see it postponed for a second time.

"The boys had built up for it, now we're bringing them back down," Emerson continued.

"We'll hopefully get it all tidied up before the end of March, and then that's it done. We were just fortunate that we managed to secure a game, so the boys will go into the weekend (against Dalziel in the National Shield quarter-finals, this Saturday) having had some game time, because there's only so much you can replicate at training.

"We've just got to take it as it comes. It's been frustrating because this is the second or third time we should've played them, but we just hope Aberdeen are well, and they get some boys who want to come down.

"That will be their league games done then as well, and then they can rest, rebuild and get ready for next season."