A Rosyth man, who repeatedly stalked his former partner after they split up, has been jailed. 

William Stewart, 53, of Primrose Avenue, appeared at Dunfermline Sheriff Court by video-link from prison. 

He refused to stop his conduct despite various court appearances, and as a result breached a community payback order and non-harassment order. 

Having been given several community-based disposals, the court’s patience finally ran out. 

Depute fiscal Laura McManus said Stewart had gone to the woman’s door at 12.45am and shouted: “It’s the police” then “Sorry.” 

He continued “shouting and rambling” which led to the woman calling the police who found him near her home. 

Stewart admitted he breached the non-harassment order on January 30 in Dunfermline, by attending at the woman’s house and shouting through her front door. 

Stewart was previously caught on CCTV staring through the woman’s window and kicking her door when she was out. 

He admitted that between January 1 and October 7 last year in Dunfermline, he engaged in an abusive course of conduct towards his former partner. 

He repeatedly attended at her home uninvited. On one occasion he peered into windows and kicked the back door.  

He repeatedly placed handwritten letters and a credit card through her letterbox and repeatedly telephoned her. 

Then on June 22 this year he breached bail conditions by entering her street and contacting the woman. 

This was also a breach of his non-harassment order. 

Last November, he was sentenced to a community payback order with 18 months supervision and alcohol counselling, as well as a two-year non-harassment order. 

On that occasion Stewart told the court: “I do apologise for what happened. I’ll not be repeating it I can assure you. It’s finished.” 

Defence solicitor Aime Allan said her client had struggled with the breakdown of the relationship as well as his difficulties with alcohol consumption. 

Sheriff Susan Duff jailed Stewart for a year and imposed a three-year non-harassment order.