AN invasive and poisonous plant has been removed from a path used by Dunfermline schoolkids.

Giant hogweed was found on a route leading to Commercial and St Margaret’s primary schools in Dunfermline, close to the Garvock House Hotel.

As previously reported in the Press, concerns were raised last year when a parent said the path had no lights and several potholes.

Giant hogweed can cause burns to the skin and a Garvock resident, who didn't want to be named, said that the plant had grown to “shoulder height”.

They added: “It hadn’t bloomed yet, but we have to catch it before it gets to that stage.

READ MORE: Volunteers with Dunfermline’s peacocks reflect on anniversary of brutal attack

“If you touch any bit of it, you’ll end up with a really bad rash, boiled blisters on skin. That skin will be affected for five to seven years.”

The giant hogweed has now been removed.

Stephen Duffy, grounds maintenance service manager with Fife Council, said: “Although the area where the hogweed was found belongs to a private landowner, who we contacted, we decided to deal with it given that it’s heavily used by people going to and from the local schools.

“The hogweed at the top part of the lane at St John’s Drive was cut out and disposed of. We also treated the area with weedkiller to kill off any residue and weeds in general.

“The other area, the lane from Tolmount Crescent to the schools, was inspected and no giant hogweed was found.”