A MAN had the top part of his ear bitten off in a fight outside a Dunfermline pub, a court has heard.

The victim had confronted thug Ross Keir following an unprovoked attack on a barman.

This escalated into a fight and Keir bit the man’s ear as he held him in a headlock.

Ross Keir, 29, formerly of Alexander Road, Glenrothes, and now of Segal House, Dunfermline, appeared for sentencing at Dunfermline Sheriff Court.

He admitted that on February 12, at Monty’s, Guildhall Street, he assaulted Andrew Cuthbert in the course of his employment by punching him on the face.

He also admitted that in Guildhall Street he assaulted Gregor Moffat by biting his ear, causing a part of it to detach, to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

Depute fiscal Sarah Lumsden told the court that at around 10.40pm, the barman saw a male he had previously barred.

This person, who was accompanied by Keir, was told he was not being served and was escorted to the door.

Keir appeared at the door of the pub and punched the barman on the face.

A customer, Gregor Moffat, standing outside, saw this and confronted Keir about the assault.

CCTV video shows the customer kicking out at Keir before the two started struggling on the pavement.

Other customers lifted Keir up and he had the man in a headlock before he then bit his ear. The victim is seen on the CCTV holding his ear after the assault.

“The top part of his ear was bitten off,” added the depute. “There was a 1.5cm-sized piece missing and he will be permanently disfigured.”

Defence solicitor James Moncrieff said: “There was an argument between his friend and the barman at the door. The assault was not for no reason but it was not for a good reason.

“The complainer in the second charge kicked him so initially he was acting in self-defence. However, in the struggle the man had a tight grip on his arm which was causing him pain and he took the decision to bite him on the ear.”

Keir appeared before Sheriff Craig McSherry, who last month had placed him on a community payback order for a separate offence.

Sheriff McSherry called for reports and allowed bail to continue. Keir will be sentenced on November 17.