A WOMAN trying to take a baby into a Dunfermline supermarket was confronted by a group of drunken youths.

Two youths have appeared in court for shouting and swearing at the woman and her friend for no reason as they went into the shop with the eight-month-old baby.

The jobless teenagers were heavily intoxicated in the Tesco car park on a Friday afternoon and started shouting abuse, Dunfermline Sheriff Court heard.

Appearing in the dock were Dunfermline teenagers Ethan Cartwright, 18, of Beath View and Callum Webster, 18, of Logie Place.

They admitted that on July 28, at Tesco, Winterthur Lane, whilst acting with others, they behaved in a threatening or abusive manner, acted in an aggressive manner, shouted and swore.

Depute fiscal Ruaridh Ferguson told the court the incident occurred at 3pm in the car park of the supermarket where a large group of youths had gathered.

A woman parked her car and was taking the child into the store when she saw Cartwright hanging about the entrance.

“It was immediately clear he was very drunk and he began to shout and swear, acting in an aggressive manner,” said the depute.

He shouted at the woman: “What the f*** are you looking at?” as he waved his arms around.

“He was moved away by one of the members of the group. The woman was with a friend and she was asking the group to be quiet because they had a baby with them,” added Mr Ferguson.

At this point, Webster, who was also “very drunk” started to shout and swear at the woman in a similar manner.

The women took the baby into the store and police were contacted. Cartwright and Webster were identified when officers viewed CCTV.

When detained, Cartwright said: “I’m sorry.” His solicitor, Alexander Flett, said: “He had too much to drink and is apologetic for what he did.”

James Moncrieff, solicitor for Webster, said: “He had far too much to drink that day and doesn’t remember what happened. He’s embarrassed about it.”

Sheriff Alison McKay told the pair: “These ladies were entitled to go to Tesco without facing abuse from you.”

She fined Cartwright £150 and Webster £100.