TWO teenage Rosyth youths were fined a total of £1,250 for carrying out an assault in Queensferry Road last year.

The 17-year-olds, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared for sentencing at Dunfermline Sheriff Court last Wednesday having earlier admitted their part in the attack on April 2 last year when they assaulted a man and repeatedly kicked and punched him on the head and body to his injury.

Depute fiscal Dev Kapadia said witnesses saw both teenagers attempting to goad the complainer as he walked across the road to the Brown Bear pub.

The victim heard footsteps running behind him and he was then punched once by one of the youths which resulted in him falling to the ground. The other youth then repeatedly punched him on the head and body. He suffered swelling to the left side of his face and had a sore face.

Defence solicitor Alexander Flett said the incident took place when his client, who had admitted one single punch to the head, was just 15.

"He has not been in trouble other than this matter," he said. "The victim was known to him and he accepts he punched him once. Since that time, he has kept on the straight and narrow and has managed to find full-time employment."

Solictor Ian Beatson said his client admitted repeatedly punching the man on the head and body.

During his appearance, the youth also admitted that on April 16 at Torridon Drive, Rosyth, he behaved in a threatening or abusive manner which was likely to cause a reasonable person to suffer fear or alarm by repeatedly shouting, swearing and uttering racially offensive remarks.

For the additional offence, depute fiscal Mr Kapadia said a taxi driver had picked up a group of young people, including the accused, at around 2am in Dunfermline.

When they arrived in Rosyth, the driver said the fare was £14.95 and all the passengers ran off. He gave chase and caught the youth who became agitated and started calling him racially-offensive names.

Mr Beatson said his client was drinking to excess at the time of both offences.

"He was aware of the complainer in the first charge and there had previously been bad blood between them. Because he had been drinking, he behaved in this manner," he said.

For the later incident, he said the accused had little recollection, however, took full responsibility for his actions and had now curbed his drinking.

Sheriff Craig McSherry fined the first youth £400 for his part in the assault while the second was fined a total of £850 for both offences.