A KINCARDINE man has been jailed for perverting the course of justice after he pretended to police that he was someone else.

Gary Gillespie, 23, of Regent Street, was successful in his attempt until officers turned up at his address two days later.

At Dunfermline Sheriff Court, he admitted that on January 3 at the Co-op store in Kincardine's High Street, stealing a quantity of alcohol.

Gillespie pleaded guilty to, on March 15 at his home address, providing false details to police to prevent being apprehended and, by doing so, attempting to pervert the course of justice.

And on March 17 at the same address he admitted behaving in a threatening or abusive manner by saying that he was going to cut his wrists whilst in possession of a knife.

Gillespie also admitted that, having been granted bail at the court on March 20, failing to appear at the court when required to do so on May 17.

Depute fiscal Carrie Stevens said the goods taken in the shoplifting incident were to the value of £25.

Gillespie had been refused service by Co-op staff but then stole the alcohol.

On March 15, police had attended his address due to him being a wanted man. He told them that he was Tony Gillespie and said his brother Gary was not in the property.

Officers left but returned two days later.

Gillespie was seen at the upstairs window and indicated that he was not going to let the police in.

When officers went to the back of the address they could see the accused with a knife.

Gillespie appeared from a window and shouted: "I will jump out of the window and slit my wrists."

His mother returned at this time and allowed the police to enter the house.

Defence solicitor John Bain said he took exception to the reference made by the prosecution about jumping out of the window.

He added that Gillespie has an extensive record and was also in breach of an order in Alloa for a road traffic incident.

"It is correct to say that he went to the off-licence in Kincardine but I do not think there was any suggestion that he was drunk," Mr Bain said.

"He was asked for ID and he offered to pay for the whisky but the shop would not accept it.

"He made a mistake with not turning up to court and was remanded in custody for four weeks. He has not enjoyed that experience."

Sheriff Charles Macnair told Gillespie: "You have a bad record and have failed to comply with a non-custodial sentence.

"In having regard to your record, I consider there are no alternative options.

"The shopkeeper was justified in refusing you service."

Gillespie was jailed for four months and 93 days.