Aberdour 2 Oban Celtic 1

RODDY MacColl was Aberdour’s hero as they claimed a priceless win in Saturday’s crucial promotion battle with Oban Celtic.

His double – including the winner with just six minutes left – turned the game on its head to move the West Fifers four points ahead of their third-placed rivals and maintain their unbeaten South Division One record.

The victory also keeps Aberdour just a point behind leaders Lochside Rovers – who have played three games more – with six matches left.

Aberdour were without key duo Finlay Williamson and Cammy McCue through suspension, while goalkeeper Tom Bowerman and main goalscorer Angus Thorburn were missing because of holidays.

Both teams gave as good as they got in the opening exchanges but a lapse of concentration in the home defence after Oban were awarded a free hit saw Neil Carmichael fire them into a 32nd minute lead.

But Aberdour, with the wind in their favour after half-time, came roaring back when MacColl steered the ball low into the net following a goalmouth scramble for the equaliser after 67 minutes.

The hosts continued to create chances and were rewarded when MacColl latched on to a long ball and, after keeping it in play, dragged the ball inside before unleashing an unstoppable shot into the top corner to secure the points.

Coach Lisa MacColl said: “It was a big game and although it was unfortunate we were missing some key players, the squad proved that it has depth to it.

“We seemed to make the most of the ball when we had it up front and their keeper made some saves in both halves. It wasn’t an easy win. We had a talk with them at half-time and said that it was only 1-0 and the game was there to be won. Psychologically it makes a difference and is a good lift for us but it was important we played the game and not the occasion. The guys are fairly realistic in how far we’ve come and how far we have to go, so at the moment where we finish is not our focus. We have to take it one game at a time.”

Aberdour have a free weekend before returning to action on July 16 at Kyles Athletic seconds. The second team return to action on the same day when they host Kilmory in the Bullough Cup semi-finals.