Dunfermline Athletic 0, Falkirk 1.

A FAILURE to capitalise on first half pressure and dominance resulted in Dunfermline losing three points against bottom of the table Falkirk.

When talking about the proverbial game of two halves, this definitely was it with the Pars providing plenty of energy and chance in the opening 45 minutes.

However, with chances for the home side coming and going without success, it was a rare opportunity for the Bairns which ended up deciding the game.

Allan Johnston made two changes to the team which beat Alloa last weekend.

Ryan Williamson and Kallum Higginbotham were brought in with James Craigen and Aidan Connolly starting on the bench.

They nearly made it a perfect start and should have been a goal ahead within the first minute.

Athletic started the match at an incredible pace which soon saw Higginbotham drive in a shot. His effort was parried by keeper Fasan and came to Andy Ryan but his close range shot was far too soft and somehow cleared.

Seconds later, Pars were on the attack again and had another great chance through Joe Thomson who found himself with the ball in the box but his curled effort was palmed over for a corner.

Dunfermline continued to look lively and more great work from Thomson in the 14th minute saw the ball come to Higginbotham who passed to Longridge. His ball zipped across the goalmouth but the sliding Hippolyte was just unable to get his foot on the end of it.

Falkirk started to pick up their pace and make it a match however Dunfermline were back on the attack in 33rd minute after great link up play between Higginbotham and Hippolyte who let off a low rocket shot which went just wide.

Johnston had to make a change a minute later when Keena came off worse in a challenge and had to be replaced with El Bakhatoui.

It was the substitute who put Andy Ryan through just before half time but the ball just didn’t come down for him and he put the ball out for a goal kick.

Falkirk looked keen to reverse their luck in the second half and looked more motivated. They nearly went ahead in the opening minutes when Paton’s long range effort clattered off the cross bar.

El Bakhataoui had a chance ten minutes later but his effort was saved. Minutes later it was Higginbotham who came close to breaking the deadlock with a cracking shot from outside the box which was palmed round for a corner.

El Bakhataoui had several efforts on goal with his best coming in the 67th minute when a scissor kick from just outside the box was saved.

Pars were left stunned on 70 minutes when Ruddle fired in a shot from way outside the box which went past Robinson into the net to the delight of the away support.

Johnston attempted to change his team’s luck by bringing on Connolly and Muirhead for Hippolyte and Higginbotham to no avail.

Connolly did look dangerous however Dunfermline struggled to get past the Falkirk defence and despite a late long range effort from Longridge, they were unable to pull the game back.

Dunfermline Athletic Robinson, Williamson, Longridge J, Ashcroft, Devine, Martin, Thomson, Keena (El Bakhataoui 35), Ryan, Higginbotham (Connolly 76), Hippolyte (Muirhead 76).

Subs: Gill, Craigen, Martin, Vincent.

Falkirk Fasan, Kidd, McGhee, Paton, Petravicius, Robson, Harrison, Buaben, Brough (Dallison 82), Rudden, Irving.

Subs: Mutch, Sammut, Lewis, Dumbuya, McKee, Haber.

Referee: Andrew Dallas Attendance: 5762