Premier League South 

Rosyth 2 Lochore Welfare 2

A LATE penalty from talisman Tam Hampson rescued a point for Rosyth after a controversial refereeing decision almost cost them against Lochore Welfare.

Trailing 2-1 in this derby match at the Fleet Grounds, Stevie Slimmings’ superb half-volley flew beyond the visitors’ keeper but, in doing so, crashed against the framework at the back of the goal and bounced back out and along the line.

Despite the ball having crossed the line, the referee declared that the goal had instead hit the post and chalked it off, leaving Brian Muirhead and his team incredulous.

However, after being bundled over in the box with two minutes to go, top scorer Hampson netted from the rebound after his penalty was saved to earn a hard-fought point for the home side.

Lochore, who had won three successive games under new boss James Adam, took a 20th minute lead through Sean Johnstone but Craig Fraser’s fine diving header restored parity four minutes from the break.

Adam Haddow put Welfare back in front with 13 minutes to go and, following the late drama at other end, Rosyth saw two players ordered off late on to finish with nine men.

Of Slimmings’ ‘ghost goal’, Muirhead said: “Stevie is one of the most skilful players I’ve ever seen and he scored one of the best goals I’ve ever seen. We were all jumping about with joy and then the referee gave a throw-in!

“He caught it on the half-volley, with the outside of his foot, and it was a beauty. The referee said it hit the post but it was easily two feet over the line.

“Stevie is absolutely devastated and it was one of the cleanest strikes I’ve seen in ages.

“Before the game, if you’d said would I take a draw, I probably would have, so I’m reasonably happy with it.

“The team played well.”

East of Scotland League Cup, preliminary round

Crossgates Primrose 5 Dunipace 1

ALAN CAMPBELL saluted his side after a “good day’s work” saw them ease past struggling Dunipace in the Central Taxis League Cup.

Primrose were rarely troubled from when Scott Hynd put them ahead with only 15 minutes on the clock.

Midfielder Barry Paterson doubled their advantage six minutes from the break before Hynd grabbed his second of the afternoon just after the hour mark to make it 3-0.

Paterson then netted his brace and, although Dunipace pulled one back, Mark McKenzie completed the scoring with a fifth for Crossgates.

“It was a good day’s work and it was good to get into the next round and keep our good home form up,” Campbell commented.

“We took our chances and a few of our goals came from set pieces, which was pleasing because that was something we have worked on in training.

“We played within ourselves at times, and I actually thought we played better football the week before. But we were clinical and confidence is flooding through the team just now.”

East of Scotland League, Conference A

Hawick Royal Albert 0 Oakley United 2

STEWART KENNY’S fine start to life as Oakley United manager continued as they won for the second game in a row.

Facing a Hawick Royal Albert side that sat above them in the table, Oakley went in search of payback after they had been beaten 3-0 by the Borders outfit just two weeks previously.

They turned the tables in style as, after a goalless opening half, the reliable James McAteer fired Oakley ahead in the 66th minute and, with just 12 minutes remaining, he grabbed his second to seal the points and lift Kenny’s men into seventh place.

Conference C

Edinburgh United 3 Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 2

INVERKEITHING Hillfield Swifts’ three-match winning streak is over after losing out by the odd goal in five in the capital.

In an action-packed first half, the home side took a 15th minute lead and made it two nine minutes later.

On the half-hour, the Swifts hauled themselves back into it when Scott Russell netted, and they were boosted further just five minutes later when United’s Taylor Hendry was ordered off for dissent.

Lee Duffy’s team took advantage of the numerical advantage three minutes from the interval when Jack Easton followed up to net after the home keeper had parried a sho.

The game looked set to end all-square until the 87th minute, when the home side scored a dramatic late winner and break Inverkeithing’s’ hearts.

Saturday’s fixtures (kick-offs 2pm unless stated): GeoSonic Scottish Football Lowland League – University of Stirling v Kelty Hearts (3pm). East of Scotland League, Conference A – Dunbar United v Oakley United (2.30pm). Conference B – Eyemouth United v Crossgates Primrose. Conference C – Jeanfield Swifts v Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts. Premier League South – Harthill Royal v Rosyth (1.45pm).