Rosyth 2 Annbank United 0, Macron Scottish Junior Cup, fourth round

ROSYTH marched on to the last 16 of the Scottish Junior Cup after seeing off Ayrshire side Annbank United at the Fleet Grounds on Saturday.

Brian Muirhead's team bounced back from a disappointing 4-1 loss at Harthill Royal on league business last time out in style to maintain their impressive cup form at the expense of their West Region opponents.

After earning victories on the road at Newmains United and North Region Super League Bridge of Don Thistle to reach the fourth round, Rec made the perfect start on home turf when, after 12 minutes, Jason Keith gave them the lead with a diving header.

It was an advantage they held until just after the hour mark, when Dale Prattis doubled their lead by nodding home at the back post, and a disappointing day for the visitors saw them finish with 10 men.

Muirhead commented: "I'm very pleased, although I didn't think it was our best performance of the season.

"It was a hard game to play; they played a 4-5-1 and tried to be direct, but we handled the pressure really well. We made a couple of changes after last week and the players worked hard for each other.

"In the first 10-15 minutes, we were a bit shaky, but then we bossed them.

"We didn't really know what to expect from them but, once we got the second goal, it was game over as they didn't look like getting anything from us.

"We were composed, disciplined and professional."

Muirhead, who ran the rule over three trialists on Tuesday, added: "We'd like a big gun away, like Auchinleck or Hurlford, as we have a young squad and it would be a good learning experience for them.

"I'm not sure if Rosyth have been in the last 16 before and it's testament to the hard work everybody's put in."

Edusport Academy 0 Kelty Hearts 1, Lowland League

A SENSATIONAL strike by Stuart Cargill was the difference for Kelty Hearts as they extended their lead at the top of the Lowland League.

The club's top scorer proved his worth to Barry Ferguson's side once again as, with just 12 minutes remaining, he netted a goal of the season contender to clinch a hard-earned three points against Edusport Academy to move four points clear of East Kilbride.

Captain Shaun Greig played the ball into Cargill on the right-hand touchline and, after taking a touch to control, he moved inside and away from his marker before unleashing a stunning shot with the outside of his right boot that flew over goalkeeper Solal Pelmard-Bassi from around 25 yards.

It was the Kelty talisman's 19th goal of the season and edged a closely-contested game at Annan Athletic's Galabank against an Edusport team that sat fourth in the table prior to the start of play.

Ahead of the match, Ferguson completed his first signings since succeeding Thomas Courts last month by bringing in former Pars midfielder, Finn Graham, from Arbroath, and defender Sean O'Neil, who returned just three months after leaving for Dundonald Bluebell.

Local boy Graham, who hails from Crosshill and began his football journey with Kelty Marian Colts, was pitched immediately into the side for his debut and there was little to choose between the teams in the opening 45 minutes, although Murray Carstairs came close with a flashing header that finished narrowly wide.

Cargill spurned a golden opportunity after the break when he was blocked on the line from six yards after good work by Stephen Husband, before Scott Christie made a smart near post block from the hosts' Scott McGlaughlin.

Ciaren Chalmers then had an effort cleared off the line as Kelty pressed, but Christie was again called upon to keep them ahead shortly afterwards with another fine save from McGlaughlin.

But Cargill's wonder goal won it for Kelty and Ferguson commented: "Overall we thoroughly deserved to win the game. The biggest thing for me is the heart, determination and desire of my team. They're a great bunch of boys; we've added a wee bit of quality over the last week, and we will do in the coming weeks, but it was a great performance.

"It was a great finish (from Cargill). He missed a couple of chances during the game, which probably disappointed him, but that's what Cargy can do. He comes up with some unbelievable finishes but what a strike; it deserved to win the game."

Oakley United 1 Leith Athletic 1, East of Scotland League, Conference A

OAKLEY UNITED manager Stewart Kenny has hailed the "unity" in his squad after they earned a point in his first home match in charge.

After beginning his reign with three away fixtures since his appointment as Richard Fox's successor last month, the former Tullibody Amateurs boss made his Blairwood Park bow against Leith Athletic and felt his side were unfortunate not to earn victory.

The capital club felt aggrieved in the first half when Dan Garvey twice had the ball in the net, only to be denied by offside, and Kenny's men took advantage when Jack Cowan put them ahead in the 53rd minute.

But, seven minutes later, Garvey did net with a goal that Kenny described as "needless" to earn the visitors a draw, despite Oakley's best efforts to find a winner.

Kenny said: "I thought we played well in the first 15 minutes but then we let them back into it, and they had a couple of goals disallowed, which was disappointing from their point of view.

"But I thought we bossed it in the second half. We were 1-0 up but gave away a needless goal and we just couldn't get the winner, but it wasn't through a lack of chances.

"We had five or six good chances second half, which is a good ratio at this level, but the scoring ratio is not good enough. But it will come; the boys are gelling, probably more so than I expected.

"They're showing a great work ethic, are battling hard and there's a great unity in the squad. Eventually our luck will turn."

Bonnyrigg Rose 2 Crossgates Primrose 1, Conference B

ALAN CAMPBELL has urged his Primrose players not to be too down after their six-match losing streak ended at Bonnyrigg Rose.

After smashing home 13 goals in their previous two games with Dunipace and Eyemouth United, the Humbug Park men travelled to the unbeaten Conference B leaders with confidence and put on a stirring show that drew praise from their opponents.

Bonnyrigg, who claimed the East Region junior Super League title last season before switching to the East of Scotland League, had won nine of their 10 games and had hit 55 goals in the process.

But Crossgates came flying out the traps and, within the opening five minutes, twice came within a lick of paint to opening the scoring.

Hitman Scott Hynd's excellent header was desperately unlucky to hit the post, while Scott Lawrie struck the crossbar moments later with a fine, first-time half-volley from a corner.

Lawrie, however, was not to be denied and after eight minutes, he opened the scoring with a spectacular long-ranger that flew beyond goalkeeper Bryan Young.

It was a stunning start from the visitors but, with 23 minutes on the clock, Bonnyrigg pulled level when a shot from the edge of box ricocheted into the path of Kyle Wilson to fire home.

Five minutes from the break, Keiran McGachie turned the contest on its head when he turned his marker at the edge of the box before shooting beyond Grant Henderson, and despite Crossgates' best efforts, they finished with nothing to show.

Campbell commented: "It was a brilliant goal that we scored but I think that woke them up a wee bit, and felt that as the half went on, the goal was coming.

"I think 2-1 was a fair reflection at half-time. We told the guys to stay in the game and then, in the last 15-20 minutes, we could have a go and that's how it panned out. I was quite happy with the second half.

"I'm pleased with the players' efforts and that they made a decent game of it, but it's a bit disappointing that that's our run over.

"But one result doesn't change that and we've got two home games now. Our home record is very good so we'll look to continue that."

Camelon 6 Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 2, Conference C

TEN-MAN Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts were hit for six as they lost out to Camelon at Carmuirs Park.

Lee Duffy's side were aiming to reverse a run of three successive defeats – which included a 5-0 loss at Jeanfield last time out – but the Alex Jack Cup winning Mariners proved too strong at Carmuirs Park.

The visitors got off to the worst possible start when, with just a minute on the clock, they conceded the opener to Kieran Anderson before Ross Cameron added a second just 60 seconds later.

Shell-shocked Swifts, incredibly, found themselves 3-0 down soon afterwards when Liam McCroary added his name to the Camelon scoresheet, before they were reduced to 10 men.

Despite that, they pulled a goal back through Ryan Cowie just after the half hour mark, before Duffy reduced the arrears further four minutes into the second half.

However, the numerical advantage eventually told in the home team's favour, with Anderson netting his second on the hour mark before completing his hat-trick moments later.

Anderson then grabbed his fourth and Camelon's sixth five minutes from time to complete the scoring and wrap up the three points.

Saturday's fixtures (kick-offs 1.30pm unless stated): East of Scotland League, Conference B - Crossgates Primrose v Dunipace (2pm). Football Nation Qualifying Cup, second round - Bonnyrigg Rose v Oakley United. Third round - Kelty Hearts v Whitehill Welfare (3pm). Thorntons Property East Region League Cup - Rosyth v West Calder United.