Scottish Junior Cup, fifth round:

Pollok 8 Rosyth 2

IT WAS eight-two brutae for Brian Muirhead’s Rosyth side as their Scottish Cup journey came to an abrupt end at West Premiership top boys Pollok’s Newlandsfield Park.

Adam Forde, Stuart McCann and Gary McCann all bagged doubles with Jamie Henry and Ross Brash wading in, with the unfortunate Rec netting what turned out to be consolation goals through Tam Hampson and Gregg Page.

Muirhead commented: "We always knew it was going to be a step too far for us as they’re a cracking side with international pedigree, and all we could ask as a club was to go out, give it our all, play for the jersey and don’t come off the park with any energy left – just leave it all out there.

"I can’t fault them as we're in the progress of building and we don’t have our own ground after selling it, so we’re rebuilding and fair play to them as their fitness levels were different class and they had that wee bit of quality up front.

"It's been an incredible journey for us as we've no money and we've plucked players from the amateurs and other places so this is a big occasion for them and for us at Newlandsfield.

"Overall, despite the result, I'm proud of all my boys."

The homesters were ahead on 75 seconds after Henry nodded a stray clearance to Stuart McCann and he stormed onto it and calmly lobbed ex-’Lok stopper Ross Harkness.

Goal number two arrived for the three-time Junior Cup winners on 11 minutes following a sweeping move started by Henry, who found Stuart McCann to send in a teasing cross that Forde nodded home.

Stefan McCluskey then produced some magic on the left to put it on a plate for Stuart McCann to net from close range before the Rec found their feet.

Out of nothing, Christopher Millar sent a snapshot at Jordan Longmuir and he spilled with Hampson pouncing on the scraps on 27 minutes.

’Lok had a lucky escape moments later after Hampson collected a quick Gavin McCann free kick and converted but whistler Alex Shepherd blew controversially for offside as he had to beat his marker before scoring.

But their second did come with Michael Macmillan finding Hampson, who played in Page and he scampered forward to slot past Longmuir on 35 minutes.

Right before the break, Henry took matters into his own hands and drilled beyond Harkness from distance to give ’Lok the two-goal advantage again.

After half-time, the floodgates opened, with Forde bagging his brace before Gary McCann finished and Brash scored with his first touch after coming on as a sub via a deflection.

The match, and the scoring, was over on 76 minutes after Ryan McGregor switched to Gary McCann and he popped home for his double.

’Lok gaffer Murdie Mackinnon paid homage to Muirhead’s troops after the final whistle and said: "We were convincing and it's a convincing result but credit to Rosyth for coming and giving us a fight and I wish them well.

"I'm pleased we're in the quarters as that's where we should be operating at."