GeoSonic Scottish Lowland Football League:

Kelty Hearts 5 The Spartans 0

KELTY HEARTS moved to within a point of the Lowland League summit after producing a five-star show against The Spartans on Tuesday evening.

Barry Ferguson's free-scoring side, who have now hit the net 30 times in just six matches, followed up Saturday's magnificent seven at bottom side Vale of Leithen with another fine showing against the capital outfit at New Central Park.

Kelty opened the scoring with just 18 minutes on the clock when Murray Carstairs headed home from a corner, then Nathan Austin headed in the hosts' second before he grabbed his second of the night – and 13th of the season – from the penalty spot on the hour.

Minutes later, Stephen Husband's low drive from the edge of the area made it four before Cammy Russell completed a fine night's work for Kelty with a fine finish.

At Vale of Leithen, two goals in eight first-half minutes from Austin and Husband put Hearts firmly in control and, thanks to another from the former Inverness hitman, and one from Sean McKirdy, they led 4-0 at the interval.

Scott Linton made it five before Austin completed his second treble of the season so far, with defender Danny Ashe completing the scoring.

East of Scotland League, Premier Division:

Crossgates Primrose 2 Musselburgh Athletic 1

CROSSGATES moved off the foot of the table after recording their first league win of the season against Musselburgh Athletic on Saturday.

James McAteer's 15th-minute goal to put Primrose ahead was doubled just four minutes later by Darren Aitken and, although a trialist pulled one back for the visitors – who had former Pars centre back Declan O'Kane red-carded – late on, Alan Campbell's side claimed victory.

"It was a good win and well deserved," he said.

"I thought that we were the better team and that 2-1 flattered Musselburgh. The boys were great from start to finish and the subs that came on in the second half did well.

"In the first two games, we played two teams who I think will be in the top three or four, and it was like we started to doubt ourselves. But we got back to basics and, in the last couple of weeks, we're starting to see the Crossgates of last season.

"There's plenty of belief and confidence amongst the players; we don't panic after a couple of defeats, and we won't get too far ahead of ourselves after we've won a couple."

SFA South Region Challenge Cup, first round:

Oakley United 4 Easthouses Lily 4 (aet, Easthouses win 4-3 on penalties)

OAKLEY UNITED manager Stewart Kenny reckoned that supporters got their money's worth after his side exited the SFA South Region Challenge Cup after an eight-goal thriller.

The Blairwood Park side were twice denied from the spot in normal time during the contest with Easthouses Lily, which also saw them lead in extra-time before being pegged back ahead of a decisive penalty shoot-out.

Craig Beattie put the visitors into a sixth-minute lead. Easthouses doubled their money through the same player in 27 minutes but, by the break, they had been pegged back to 2-2 despite Oakley having the first of two penalties saved.

Stuart Love got the hosts' first before he saw a penalty saved, but Mark Allan's goal ensured the teams were level at the interval.

Stevie Barrie's free-kick four minutes after the restart put the visitors ahead again at the start of a frantic second half that saw another Oakley spot-kick,  this time from Dylan McGowan, saved before Love made it 3-3 to take it to extra time.

Easthouses, who had a man sent off in the 90 minutes, fell behind thanks to Johnny Harrison but, in the final minute of the additional 30, another free-kick made it 4-4 and took it to penalties.

That went in favour of the visitors, and Kenny said: "It was probably the best £6 that everyone there has ever spent. It was incredible the way the game went.

"We started slow and lost two very cheap goals, but from then we kicked-on. We were good, but not good enough to win the game.

"We shouldn't have allowed it to get to penalties. We totally dominated but gave away four cheap goals, and if you score four, you should win the game.

"We are creating, which is pleasing, but we're not ruthless enough. Maybe a couple of the boys need a goal just to kick them off.

"Confidence is not a problem; we just need a couple of things to go our away. When they click, they're good footballers, and I can't fault their effort and work ethic.

"It will eventually turn for them." Premier League South:

Rosyth 5 Syngenta 3

TAM HAMPSON hit a second-half hat-trick as nine-man Rosyth completed a remarkable turnaround against junior new boys Syngenta.

Brian Muirhead's team roared back from 3-2 down – and from having full back Neil Lawrie sent off and Karol Krupa taken off injured after they had used all three substitutes – to claim a thrilling victory.

Things started well for the hosts when good wing play by Stuart Gibb led to an own goal after just five minutes but the Grangemouth visitors hit back a quarter of an hour later.

Dale Prattis headed home Gregg Page's corner four minutes later as Rosyth took the lead again before Lawrie's sending off – a decision Muirhead described as "laughable" – only for the teams to go into the break level as Syngenta levelled for a second time.

The 'Rec then fell behind four minutes after the restart and, although he won his side a penalty in the 57th minute, Krupa was forced off as Hampson pulled the nine men level.

A superb 35-yard strike from the Rosyth talisman put his team in front again before he wrapped up things up – and claimed the match ball – with eight minutes to go.

"We went down to 10 men, made a couple of changes and decided to go 3-4-2," Muirhead explained.

"We had a conversation in the changing room that attitude will get us through the game, but they scored early to make it 3-2, and you feared the worst.

"We made two substitutes early, which gave us fresh legs, and brought us together. Karol went off injured so we went down to nine men but Tam scored the penalty and then we bullied them.

"They ran out of ideas and we hit them on the counter. We countered fast and a wee ball over the top sat up for Tam a treat, and from 35 yards he sticks it in the top corner to put us 4-3 up.

"A couple of weeks ago, I questioned their desire, commitment and attitude, but they answered that in abundance.

"It was amazing and a couple of boys on the committee said they'd not seen a comeback like that from a Rosyth team in years."

East of Scotland League, First Division, Conference B:

Edinburgh United 2 Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 1

INVERKEITHING Hillfield Swifts remain top of Conference B despite going down to a second defeat of the campaign in the capital.

They looked good for a third away success in four when Gavin Smith pounced on a mistake in the home defence to put them ahead after only eight minutes.

The lead, however, was wiped out 11 minutes before the break then, almost immediately after the break, Swifts conceded again.

Swifts remain three points clear of second-top Preston Athletic, who have played two matches fewer.

l Saturday's fixtures (kick-off 2.30pm unless stated): GeoSonic Scottish Lowland Football League – Kelty Hearts v Gretna 2008 (3pm). East of Scotland League Premier Division – Crossgates Primrose v Blackburn United. Alex Jack Cup, second round – Dalkeith Thistle v Oakley United, Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts v Tweedmouth Rangers. DJ Laing East Region Cup – Rosyth v Scone Thistle.