GeoSonic Lowland League:

Kelty Hearts 3 Gala Fairydean Rovers 0

KELTY HEARTS bounced back from their Scottish Cup disappointment by recording two league victories in the space of four days.

Barry Ferguson had called on his players to "come out fighting" following their 3-0 defeat to Auchinleck Talbot in the first round of the competition last time out, and they responded with success by the same scoreline against Gala Fairydean Rovers.

That was then followed by a 4-1 win at the University of Stirling on Tuesday night, in which centre back Fernandy Mendy, who joined on loan from Raith Rovers on Monday, made his debut.

Those results maintained second place in the table, one point behind leaders Bonnyrigg Rose with a game in hand, having claimed eight victories from nine matches.

On Saturday, it took Ferguson's men 32 minutes to open the scoring thanks to Ross Philp, who controlled the ball at the edge of the box before firing low into the far corner of the net on the turn.

Lewis Grant was ordered off early in the second half for Gala following a wild lunge on Scott Linton, and Kelty soon took advantage thanks to some poor goalkeeping from Fraser Morton.

After failing to deal with Chris Dodd's cross, he couldn't clear the ball under pressure from Nathan Austin, which saw it land perfectly for Cammy Russell to net for goal number two.

Austin completed the scoring with a fine run and finish, and Ferguson commented: "It's been a tough eight days, obviously with the result and the performance last Friday, but it was just about getting by today and that's all we did.

"The main thing was that we got the three points and we move on. We've played better, there's no doubt about that, but we still created a number of chances."

The men in maroon then followed that match with a visit to Forthbank to face the students, and a 19th-minute Kieran Hall penalty gave the home side the lead.

But, after Austin netted a 55th-minute equaliser – following an assist from Mendy – for his 21st of the season, that set Kelty up to turn the contest on its head.

Thomas Reilly's stunning effort two minutes later put them ahead and, with just over an hour gone, Philp's shot into the far corner made it 3-1.

He then completed a good night's work in the final minute to clinch another convincing win.

East of Scotland Football League, Premier Division:

Camelon Juniors 2 Crossgates Primrose 1

TEN-MAN Crossgates Primrose suffered stoppage-time heartbreak as Camelon Juniors completed a dramatic comeback on Saturday.

Scott Lawrie's 28th-minute goal fired Alan Campbell's team ahead at the break, only for Jason Deans to hit back five minutes after the interval.

A controversial red card for Archie Campbell, who joined from Kelty Hearts last week, for a second caution for what the referee deemed to be simulation left the visitors to play the final half hour with just 10 men.

Just as it looked like they would hold out for a point, Connor McMullan struck in additional time to snatch all three points for the hosts, which Primrose boss Campbell admitted was tough to take.

"The game turned on the red card. The whole ground was taken aback; he was clean through on goal, so had no need to go down. It was a bit of a head-scratcher. I was gutted for him as much as the rest of the players because he created a real impression.

"It totally changed the game because Camelon pass the ball, are well-drilled and made the extra man work. To play for so long with 10 men, a draw would have been a great result.

"It was hard to take but there are a lot of positives for us."

Meanwhile, Primrose were back in action on Tuesday night at Jeanfield Swifts, where another late goal denied them victory.

James McAteer's effort just after the half-hour mark gave Crossgates the lead but the hosts hit back with 21 minutes remaining through Chris McLeish.

As the clock ticked into the final quarter of an hour, Ryan Cowie gave the visitors the advantage for a second time but, with three minutes to go, a second Jeanfield levelled again to ensure the spoils were shared.

East of Scotland Football League, First Division, Conference A:

Oakley United 1 Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale 1

OAKLEY UNITED boss Stewart Kenny praised his team's second-half show as they claimed a hard-earned point against Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale.

After falling behind five minutes before the break, Lee Halpin's equaliser gave the Blairwood Park men a share of the spoils, a result that leaves them seventh in the table with 10 points from seven matches.

Kenny said: "We struggled to maintain a grip in the first half and we were hoping to go in 0-0 at half-time. Unfortunately, Lothian scored, but once we got them in we changed the shape and made a substitution.

"They're a good side and we got a point. We'd rather win and get the monkey (of not winning at home) off our back, but we go again on Saturday."

East of Scotland Football League, First Division, Conference B:

Coldstream 2 Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 4

GRANT BROUGH felt Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts could have recorded a bigger margin of victory after enjoying a fine afternoon in the Borders.

At the end of a week that saw them knocked out of the Alex Jack Cup quarter-finals by Musselburgh Athletic and Lee Duffy leave his role as co-manager (see facing page), the Ballast Bank outfit recorded their sixth win in eight league matches to stay second in the table.

Steven Slimmings gave the visitors the initiative in the 26th minute before Gavin Smith added a second before the half-time break.

Smith grabbed his second, and Swifts' third, before Josh Neill pulled a goal back, only for Callum Strang to restore the visitors' three-goal advantage.

Neill's second for Coldstream five minutes from time was mere consolation as Inverkeithing stayed six points behind pacesetters Tynecastle, and Brough commented: "I thought we played really well and had a good bounceback after the Musselburgh defeat.

"In reality, it could have been more comfortable – we had a goal disallowed, and their second was offside – but, all-in-all, we played really well."

Macron Scottish Junior Cup, second round:

Thornton Hibs 3 Rosyth 1

ROSYTH'S hopes of emulating their run to the last 16 of junior football's showpiece competition from last term ended at Thornton Hibs on Saturday.

Brian Muirhead's team, who were eliminated by Glasgow cracks Pollok after a memorable run in last season's Junior Cup, were eventually undone by their Super League neighbours after a spirited show at Memorial Park, with Liam Queen scoring Rosyth's consolation.

Muirhead commented: "It was a really good game and there wasn't much between the two teams. They're a good side, and have scored loads of goals, but we frustrated them and had the better of the chances in the first half.

"The guys that were there did well; I only had two on the bench, and had two call-offs in the morning.

"I was reasonably happy with the performance."

l Saturday's fixtures (kick-off 2.30pm unless stated): GeoSonic Lowland League – Berwick Rangers v Kelty Hearts (3pm). East of Scotland Football League, Premier Division – Crossgates Primrose v Linlithgow Rose. East of Scotland Football League, First Division, Conference A – Oakley United v Haddington Athletic. Conference B – Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts v Hawick Royal Albert United. South Premier League – Rosyth v Sauchie Juniors CFC.