Oakley United 2 Musselburgh Athletic 4, Alex Jack Cup Final

OAKLEY UNITED’S dreams of their first senior silverware were dashed thanks to a stirring Musselburgh Athletic comeback in the Alex Jack Cup final.

Craig Martin’s 25th minute header, after Stuart Love had a penalty saved, gave Stewart Kenny’s underdogs a first half lead but they lost striker Lee Halpin to injury.

Mathu King’s penalty immediately after the restart restored parity and, just moments later, Darren Downie gave Musselburgh the lead.

Downie went on to complete his hat-trick and, although Dylan McGowan pulled one back for Oakley, who ended the game with 10 men, it was the 2015 Junior Cup finalists who lifted the trophy to book a play-off for the right to play in next season’s William Hill Scottish Cup.

“The majority of our players have come from junior and amateur football, so for them to reach a senior final almost beggars belief,” Kenny said.

“You probably wouldn’t have got odds on that at the start of the season, so hats off, they’ve overachieved, but the show must go on.

“I thought the first half was pretty even. We started really well and went 1-0 up after we missed the penalty; we scored from the resulting corner, which was pleasing.

“To be fair, Musselburgh upped the ante in the second half and their quality shone through in the end.

“With a team of that quality, playing like that second half, sometimes you had to stand back and say they deserve it.

“The fans were fantastic; they turned out in their numbers and cheered the boys on with every kick of the ball, and to see such a day for the village was great.

“But we can’t dwell on it and on Thursday night we’ll prepare for a massive game at Preston.”

Crossgates Primrose 2 Dunbar United 2, East of Scotland League, Premier Division

CROSSGATES’ match with Dunbar United was overshadowed by the news that the visitors’ secretary, Malcolm Jones, had passed away.

The East Lothian club announced after the 2-2 draw at Humbug Park that Mr Jones had died suddenly while at the game, which Primrose said had left them “numb and devastated at the loss of a lovely, friendly man”.

Boss Alan Campbell said: “There’s nothing you can really say. It was a bit of a shock.

“I’ve never experienced anything like that myself, but the club acted really quickly and did everything they could.

“Our condolences and sympathies are with his family.”

On the pitch, an own goal gave the hosts a 52nd minute lead and, although Dunbar quickly levelled, James McAteer reestablished the advantage just before the hour mark.

Fraser McLaren earned a point for United with 15 minutes left, but Campbell, who completed the signings of ex-Pars midfielder Johnny Galloway, former Arbroath and Forfar defender Michael Dunlop, and goalkeeper Rhory Mooney, added: “It was a good game, a tight game, and we’ve had a few of them recently.

“I felt we did enough to win; for probably the first time this season, I feel we didn’t get what we deserved.

“In the first half, both teams cancelled each other out, but in the second we took over and, when you go ahead twice, you expect to win.”

Leith Athletic 3 Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 2, East of Scotland League First Division

GRANT BROUGH was full of praise for his “excellent” Swifts players despite watching them lose out at Leith Athletic.

The Ballast Bank visitors, in Conference B, took on the Conference A leaders in their latest ‘inter-conference’ match, and took a 13th minute lead through Gavin Smith.

That advantage lasted just three minutes when Dan Garvey equalised, but Robert Kinnaird netted a second for Inverkeithing with just 19 minutes on the clock.

Nine minutes from the break, Ryan Currie scored a second leveller for Leith, who then lost Ross Nisbet to a serious injury that resulted in a 25 minutes delay.

Although they had several second half chances, which included hitting the woodwork, Swifts were beaten with three minutes to go when Ryan Day slammed home from close range.

“In terms of the players’ performance, I was delighted with how they played,” Brough said.

“I thought they were excellent and can’t fault them one bit. We had six or seven one-on-ones that we missed, we’ve missed a penalty, and they’ve scored off the few chances they’ve had.

“They’re a really good football team, one of the best we’ve played, but if we play like that every other week then we win.”

Kirkcaldy & Dysart 2 Rosyth 4, Fife and Lothians Cup, Second Round

ROSYTH notched their fourth win in a row after coming from behind to defeat Kirkcaldy and Dysart.

Scott Warrender put the hosts ahead, only for Stuart Gibb to equalise, before Jack Henderson gave the Rec the initiative at the break.

Although Kieran Johnston equalised on the hour mark, two goals in the last 10 minutes from Gregg Page and Jarek Butryn sealed Rosyth’s place in round three.

Boss Brian Muirhead commented: “It was never going to be a classic with the conditions and we knew we had to roll our sleeves up.

“For the first 20 minutes they pounded us, but after that we came back into it. Once we started being braver on the ball, we were the better team and I think we deserved it.

“That’s four on the bounce so I’m quite happy with that. We’ve got four games left before the New Year and our target is to win all four.”

Saturday’s fixtures: Football Nation Qualifying Cup, Third Round - Crossgates Primrose v Hill of Beath Hawthorn (1pm), Kelty Hearts v Gretna 2008 (3pm). East of Scotland League, First Division - Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts v Dunipace (2pm), Preston Athletic v Oakley United (2.30pm). McBookie.com South Premier League - Sauchie Juniors CFC v Rosyth (1.45pm).