RYAN SCULLY has revealed that the head knock that saw him stretchered off at Stranraer left him feeling like “an absolute zombie”.

But, little more than a week on, the 27-year-old says he’s beginning to feel like himself again – and is even hopeful of being in contention for a return to the Athletic squad this weekend.

Scully suffered the injury following an accidental clash with Jordan Allan while dealing with a cross in the Scottish Cup defeat to the League One side, and was subsequently taken to hospital after being knocked unconscious.

Luckily, he avoided any serious repercussions and has been back doing some work on the bike, and some running, this week with a view to returning to light training today (Thursday).

Speaking to Press Sport this week, ahead of Tuesday night’s clash at Ayr United, the former Morton and Partick Thistle goalkeeper explained: “I don’t remember much of it.

“Seeing the video back, it seems like his knee’s caught the back of my head, and Kev (Kevin Bain, Pars physio) actually came on and said I was a bit groggy.

“I was kinda responding and then, as soon as I sat up, I was out the game. All I can remember is waking up in the wee medical room in a neck brace and with an oxygen mask on; I was like, what has happened here?

“I started to perk up a wee bit, went to the hospital and they did a few tests. I got a scan and there was no signs of fractures or bleeding, so it was just that I was absolutely wiped out for a week.

“I remember the start of the game; that’s about it. At the start of that week, I think we watched the video again on the Monday, and I think Shieldsy (Greg Shields) said he could see me drifting off.

“I was an absolute zombie but it’s good to start feeling back to myself again. That was the problem at the start of last week; even just walking and stuff, I could feel myself dizzy and having headaches.

“That’s died down now and it’s just about trying to increase the level of activity in my exercise now and see how I react.

“Hopefully by Thursday, I’ll be doing a wee bit of light training and then we’ll see how it goes, but hopefully on Saturday, I’ll be ready to go.”

Scully missed Saturday’s drubbing of former club Thistle, as well as the game at Somerset, and admitted the injury was more frustrating after earning his place back in the side.

He found himself on the sidelines for a seven-game spell earlier in the season and acknowledged: “I think that’s probably the frustrating part, obviously being out for a wee while, and getting myself in the team, then for something like this to happen.

“But, obviously, health is the most important thing.

“I’ve had a few of these before. If I was probably younger, I’d be trying to rush back and get back as soon as I can, but now I’ve had a few I’m a bit more wary of it.

“I don’t think there’s a set time limit on these things. It is just genuinely how you feel.

“I’ve heard too many stories where boys have rushed back and then were out for another four or five months afterwards because they weren’t feeling right, and they’ve not had that time to let the brain rest.

“Last week, I felt like an absolute zombie, but this week I’ve started to feel a bit more like myself.

“I’ve rested all last week and now it’s trying to build up the exercise and see how it reacts.

“Hopefully, we’ve followed the procedure, but everything feels good just now.”